Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Protein Powders -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Protein Powders -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

As a 7 years cancer survivor, I have had a lot of experience with protein powders.  When going through cancer treatment the number one job is to retain weight.  The number two job is to do it "healthily" . . . Weight loss is a major reason for cancellation of cancer treatment.  It is also a leading reason care-givers fight with cancer treatment patients. Been there, done that.


Yes, my son and daughter have a number of horror stories about dad ignoring mom, and then they have to step in and make sure that I got as much food in my belly as possible.  Patients love/hate spouses being caregivers as much as caregiver spouses love/hate their spouse has cancer.

I'm not going to preach about why one protein is better than another protein.  There are more than enough social media sites that will piss you off telling you how you are BAD BAD BAD for not using the right type of protein powder. . .


I'm here to talk about "taste".  Most proteins do not have much of a taste, but they do have long-term after-taste.  I'll talk about which powders I use, with which meals, so there is a better blend of taste and aftertaste.

The number one thing to think of is - "DOES THE MEAL ALREADY CONTAIN THAT FLAVOR?"

In the USA, protein powders are ubiquitous.  They are available through supermarkets, drugstores, health food stores, online and through personal consultants ( like Arbonne, Juice Plus, or Shakology).  It is important to read the labels to see which ones are right for you.

In no particular order:

SHAKE POWDER
WARNING - I throw the warning on here, because many protein powders on the market are "whey shake" powders or "soy shake" powders and have a lot of added sugars, so check the labels. Most cancer treatment dietitians request a diet low in sugars.  Don't even get started on a conversation on cutting down on sugars during cancer treatment . . .  everyone has an opinion.  I'm just saying not all protein powders are "protein only".

VANILLA PROTEIN POWDER
It doesn't matter what the protein powder is made of, once they add "vanilla flavor" it becomes the dominate flavor in the puree.  Any meal that you would normally add vanilla extract to, is a candidate for vanilla-flavored powder - Pigs in a Blanket, or Strawberry Waffles

CHOCOLATE PROTEIN POWDER
Like vanilla-flavored, chocolate is a powerful flavoring.  Especially if it a cheap or artificial chocolate.  I usually add this to smoothies instead of meals.  The exception is chili.  Chocolate goes well with chili nachos.


PEA PROTEIN
Great to add to vegetable heavy meal.  Anything with peas or dark beans seems to work well - Chicken Pot Pie, or Bangers and Mash.
  
HEMP PROTEIN
It started out as my little protest that Dana Farber would not prescribe cannabis as an option to pain relief for cancer treatment, because of federal USA laws.  But now, I use it regularly because it taste good in purees.  Anything that has "cabbage" or spinach is a good pureed meal - Eggs Benedict w/ spinachSole Florentine, or Roasted Vegetables

 SOY MILK POWDER
My soy milk helps calm my tummy when it is upset - but that just the way I work. this is the only one that I use indiscriminately.  Although, I take offense to the term "milk" - you don't milk cows the same way you milk soybeans. 
BUTTERMILK POWDER
I like buttermilk in my  Pigs in a Blanket, or Strawberry Waffles.  Any place where you would use cream or cheese as a thickener you can add buttermilk powder - Fish ChowderLasagna, or Au Gratin Potatoes.
GOAT MILK POWDER
I got this originally because my daughter prefers lactose-free dairy.  I don't always have carton of goat milk or lactose-free milk in the refrigerator.  I substitute this instead of buttermilk powder when I make Strawberry Waffles for the both of us (like I did this morning).

WHEY POWDER
It's dairy.  Yup, just dairy.  If you added dairy to the meal, you can add whey protein. I almost left this off the list, because it is nearly impossible to find powder that hasn't been flavored with vanilla, chocolate or sugar.

VEGAN PROTEIN POWDER
This is one of the easiest of all. Typically, on the package they will proudly go into depth on the front advertising what vegetables they used to create the "plant formula" - broccoli, kale, spinach, alfalfa juice, etc. So add it to any meal that you have already added these vegetables - FalafelSole Florentine, or  Roasted Vegetables

NUT FLOUR
Sometimes protein-type powders goes under a different name.  A lot of "Nut flours" have a lot of protein.  They make a good substitute in a puree that need a nutty flavor.  The flour is great to use if you do not have a powerful blender.  My personal favorite in almond flour.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment