Friday, January 22, 2016

My Forty-Sixth - Fish Chowder - 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors

My Forty-Sixth - Fish Chowder  - 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors

With the paralyzing storm headed to Washington DC,  (Although with the way Congress doesn't do anything, I'm wondering what paralyze means down there), and the fact that the cod at the supermarket looked great, I thought a mid-winter fish chowder is just the thing.  My family isn't originally from New England, so I didn't grow up with fish chowder, but a grew a taste for it over the years.

Recently, I've been looking through old slides of my family growing up.  My father was a US Coast Guard SAR Aviator so we were always close to water, and fresh local seafood. Might be the reason my latest batch of fish chowder tasted so good.

Most recipes are pretty similar, and because everything is soft by the time they are cooked, I thought I'd give a "small portion" version that I use.  No one else in my house eats fish chowder.


1 medium Yukon potato
1/2 a medium Onion
1/4 pound of skinless cod or other white fish (I've done it with sole too)
Pat of butter
Dash of thyme
Dash of salt
1 1/2 of Water
1 Cup of Cream
Option
1 bay leave.  Remove after cooking and before pureeing.
1 inch cube of salt pork ( I rarely have this on hand so I skip it.)

BOILING VEGETABLES
Now normally you cut the potatoes and onions into small chucks, but since this will all be pureed, finely dice it as you can.  This will speed up the cooking process.  I usually cook the vegetable on medium-high heat.

COD
Some supermarkets will have cod pieces available because you only need about 3" of cod.  After the veggies have softened, I add the cod, butter, thyme, bay leave, and salt. and cook off about 1/2 cup of water.

CREAM
Now this is when the heresy starts.  I don't cook my cream.  When the Cod is thoroughly cooked and I have lost about 1/2 a cup of water through evaporation,  I turn of the heat and add my cream. I them remove my bay leave, and let the fish chowder cool down for about 15-30 minutes before pureeing.  Because my mom never really made fish chowder, I know she is not likely to yell at me for not "Long-Cooking" the chowder.    The real reason is that the house is sealed up for winter, and the fish odor can hang out a day unless you cook brownies or a hot fruit pie. . . .  :)

PUREEING
If you diced the Yukon potatoes finely, there is less issue with potato skins in the G-tube, or getting stuck in the throat.

I do recommend chowders if you are going to binge watch any of the "bearded men shows" about wilderness, seafood catching,  or Alaska.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK




I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment