Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My Forty-Fourth - Stuffed Peppers - 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors

My Forty-Fourth - Stuffed Peppers

The title is far more bland than the real opportunities.  For example, stuffing a pepper with Sloppy Joe  mixture is a most amazing option.  The biggest issue with a lot of sandwich options there is to much bread to puree.  Many of the hot sandwich options will work if you don't use the top of the sandwich.  So, stuffed Pepper is really a hot sandwich.

Part of our favorite Comfort foods is the memories them bring back.  What boy doesn't like a good hot Sloppy Joe in the winter.

Favorite recipe is from Betty Crocker.  So what I have done is pared it down to a one serving option.


1 Large Green Pepper
1/4 pound of meat (one veggie burger is a great substitute - I personally prefer ground Lamb)
1/2 a medium Onion
2 Tablespoons Rice
2 Tablespoons "Spaghetti" sauce (use your favorite tomato based sauce)
sprinkle of Mozzarella Cheese


BOILING THE PEPPER
This is actually pretty important because it softens pepper.  When it comes time to puree the pepper skin needs to be very fine if it is going down the G-tube.  If you are drinking it, it depends on your throat abilities.

VEGGIE BURGER
Now, now my daughter is the fan of veggie burgers and the first one I made for her, she complemented me with her mouth full - that is about as good as it gets.  Most veggie burgers already have rice in the burger, so you may not need as much rice.

RICE
Rice is the thickening agent.

STUFFING
So any tomato ground meat will work as a stuffing - including taco stuffing.  But now that I have successfully made two styles.  I think you can move off and try non-tomato based ground meat.  My mom use to make a hamburger and rice using CAMPBELL'S® CLASSIC CREAM OF MUSHROOM.

PUREEING
Need to reiterate that when pureeing the pepper for a G-tube that you need to make sure that you grind the pepper skin very very fine

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment