Friday, January 22, 2016

My Forty-Seventh - Roasted Vegetables - 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors

My Forty-Seventh - Roasted Vegetables

CREAM CREAM CREAM AND MORE CREAM!!!!   So many of the pureed options have a lot of dairy products.  Sometimes you need a brake from the smoothie onslaught.  For years, I've been slicing up fresh root vegetables and hard squash to roast in the oven.

This is great and simple because it's slice it; spice it; and bake it.  I use whatever I have on hand, which means what ever was available at the supermarket.  When I say available, I typically mean that it was "in season" therefore on sale.  Below is a short list of the common veggies I use:

Sweet potatoes
Yams
Yukon Potatoes
Purple Potatoes
Yellow Onions
Vidalia Onions
Carrots
Turnips
Rutabegas
Acorn Squash
Butternut Squash
Brussels Sprouts
Celery
Radishes


SLICING
For me the key is cutting all the veggies to the same size. If you cut them small - they will cook all the way through and become very soft.  If you cut them large,  they will cook on the outside, and might be rare to medium-rare on the inside.  I change it up depending on the vegetables used.  For example Brussels Sprouts can be large or small,  but I only use ones that are the same size. So it might be two different meals that week.

Typically I use 4-6 different vegetables at a time.

COOKING
I typically roast at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

SEASONING
The beauty is that there are a hundred different ways to season roasted vegetables.  The easiest way to think about it is pick a country or a region of a country and there are certain spices that are well known.  As an Example in the USA: Southern, Mex-Tex, Miami, etc.  The other day I made Tandoori chicken.  Just as easy to make a tandoori-seasoned roasted vegetables.  My daughter raved about them.

For me, my quick fix is Melting Pot Garlic and Wine Seasoning Salt, California Olive Oil, and Bell's Seasoning  

BEANS
More recently, I have been adding beans.  Typically, I use prepared beans after I roasted the vegetables, because I rarely cut the beans that small.  Because of the concern of BPA, I typically use a Tetra Box like Whole Foods, or a brand like Eden which uses "BPA free cans".

PUREEING
To thin out the veggies, I typically add Vegetable Stock or Water


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK




I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment