Saturday, January 23, 2016

My Forty-Eighth - Blackened Redfish Fish - 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors

My Forty-Eighth -  Blackened Redish Fish

So on the roast vegetable blog, I did a lot of cultural appropriation by saying you can mix and match spices and vegetables.  However, having lived in New Orleans (for about a year), I don't even pretend that I can make good Nawlins style cooking.  And I am smart enough to know that each neighborhood and parish claims that their version is the best.  I make it in the privacy of my house, not to be shared with my friends.  I'm not going to give you recipes this time around, but my plan is to inspire those with great Cajun cooking skills to DON'T BE AFRAID

I titled this one REDISH FISH- because I do not expect people to be able to get redfish in their local market.  Most often, I see restaurants substitute Mahi Mahi or swordfish.  Last night, I used the last of my cod.  Yea, blackened cod is a little out there.   I'm wondering what my readers in Romania and Russia use . . .

BLEND RATIO

1 unit blackened fish (I'll give Paul Prudomme's version for a reference)
1/2 unit rice (like a Cajun rice or a red beans and rice)
1 unit cooked greens

hot water for thinning


FISH
The most important thing to remember is too remove the skin.  After you have smoked up your house cooking it, you might be in a hurry to put it in the blender, so make sure you remove the skin first.  In my house I make sure that I have plenty of Febreze on hand too.  I did mention that I'm not an awesome Cajun chef, didn't I?

RICE
Blackened dishes are typically served with rice, so whatever everyone else is having - use that too.  Now there is an assumption that the cancer survivor consuming this can handle the spiciness.  Do not be surprised if they ask for a milder version.  I have a G-tube. currently, so spiciness is not an issue.  However, a blackened fish burp can certainly warm the throat, consider this a warning.

GREENS
Although collared greens might be traditional, my Louisiana friends recommend a broccoli rabe recipe, and I am a Bernie Sanders Vermont Kale kind of guy.  Most of this vegetables are pretty firm before cooking, so be conscience that you puree the dish well.

Since I had one BLOG about KFC, I'm wondering what a Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen version would be like.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment