Thursday, April 20, 2017

Seasoned to burp -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Seasoned to Burp -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Aftertaste is a key to eating and healing.  Many cancer treatment survivors lose their taste during treatment.  The types of flavors lost is as varied as the number of patients.  The duration of taste-lost is just as varied.  


For those who are getting most of their nutrition through a tummy tube, lip sipping is more about taste than it is about nutrition. A good after-taste will entice them back to sip again.

Some foods are actually found to be repulsive.  What is important to know is that this just happens, and does not reflect on you as a loved one nor a chef.

Just roll with it.

Below are some flavors that tend to last a longtime in the form of burps ( in no particular order)

BACON
This is not a meat, nor is it a protein.  It is a flavoring.  You will never hit your protein goals with bacon.

CINNAMON
One of the most powerful flavors there are.  Sometimes the flavor is intensified during treatment.  Some days it was the only flavor I could taste.

LEMON
Especially, pureed lemon rind or lemon zest.  I found this flavor very refreshing when eating was boring

COCOA
One of my favorite nighttime flavors.  Especially Ghirardelli dark cocoa.  But being from San Fran. it is a personal thing

PEANUT
Particularly peanut-butter.  The only issue is that I got peanut-butter overload in all of my smoothies

CHILI POWDER
I added this a lot to anything with rice.  Still do

TANDOORI
Wonder spice blend.  I love it with chickpeas.

CURRY
Oh Yea.  I would have this once or twice a month for a change of pace, especially with raisins.

CILANTRO
Fresh cilantro would stay with me a long time.  Some people hate it so be careful

BANANA
Banana tends to overwhelm all flavors except cinnamon.  I grew so tired of bananas I can not tell you how glad I was that bananas burned my mouth so I didn't have to eat them again

BBQ
I put that sh*t on everything.  Sorry I stole the slogan, but I couldn't use hot sauce.

FISH
Not only do the odors linger in the house, they linger in the belly  

Let me could what other flavors I should add.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment