Sunday, April 23, 2017

My One Hundred and Third - Sashimi -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My One Hundred and Third - Sashimi -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

 
"Consuming raw or under-cooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of food-borne illness."

If you have any concerns about raw food skip down to POACHING. 

NO REALLY, love of food should not make you ill.



My wife and I, typically, went out for anniversary dinner to eat sushi and sashimi.  When we order out we order the same couple of fish every time, so the anniversary was the time to try new fish.

When my children were old enough to cook, they would make my wife and I a "seven course Valentine's dinner", which would also include sushi.  Sushi started on the menu, because when they were really young we did not have confidence in their cooking skills.  Also, they never told us what was on the menu, they just don't me which ingredients to purchase.  If I ask you to try something new, I should be willing to do the same.

I could have called this one "Sushi".  However, sushi rolls are problematic.  Especially. if you need to poach them as they fall apart horribly in the hot water. If you are going raw, you can use sushi nori rolls.  Different sushi chefs use varying ratios of protein to rice . . . use what you like.

Sashimi is just raw fish (and other seafood).  They are soft and easy to puree.  However, you need to build a "sushi-version in order to puree

SIMPLE RECIPE
1 Unit sashimi
2 Units cooked rice
1/2-unit ginger or picked ginger
one packet of soy sauce - (we always have extra packets in the refridge.)

thin with tea

OPTION
Wasabi to taste - go light
seaweed to taste


FISH
My three favorites are Salmon, Tuna, and Mackerel. All three are very soft and do not take long to puree, and easy to purchase at H Mart.  You can choose your favorite fish from your favorite Sushi Restaurant.

ROE
Fish eggs are a great replacement for salt and add a great fish flavor.

SEAFOOD
There are other versions of seafood that you can use, like squid, octopus, or scallops.  Just make sure that you purchase SUSHI quality seafood.  Shrimp is most often served cooked.

GINGER
We are used to eating picked ginger with our sashimi.   However, I always have ginger and turmeric in the house (since they are both good anti-cancer foods), so I leave the pickled ginger for my wife, and add fresh ginger to the blender.  A dash of turmeric isn't a bad idea.  I hide this message down here so the sashimi purist won't hunt me down.

SOY SAUCE
You can use a bottle of say sauce or tamari sauce; however, if your house is like mine you have a stash of leftover soy sauce packets in the refrigerator for all the Chinese food takeout orders.

POACHING
If you have ANY concerns at all - poach the sashimi.  Make sure that you cook the seafood all the way through.  Which is pretty easy because the pieces are small enough to cook all the way through.  The nice thing about poaching is that you can't OVER-COOK the fish.  I bring the water to a roaring boil and add the fish.  When the water returns to a hard boil.  I cook it for one more minute, and then use a screen to "fish" the pieces out of the water and add them to the blender.  If you use sushi rolls, everything with dissolve in the water and make a mess.



I have an H Mart nearby which sells both whole and sashimi pieces


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.
<1 font="" pieces="">

No comments:

Post a Comment