Wednesday, March 29, 2017

My One Hundred and Second - Chicken Caesar Salad -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My One Hundred and Second  - Chicken Caesar Salad -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

A month ago, I was asked to research more salads.  I've been a little hesitant because most salad dressing contain vinegar, which will burn the mouth of most lip-sippers who are going through cancer treatment. However, when we approached the Ides of March, I thought I do an homage to Caesar.

It is easy enough to juice a Caesar Salad, but puree comes up with the problem that the solid parts will settle to the bottom, unless there is enough starch to hold the blend in suspension.  The answer is either plenty of croutons, or a Caesar Salad Wrap.

The second problem, with pureeing a salad, is that lettuce is mostly water and when pureed there is not much left but liquid. All you are left with is pureed lettuce skins which is an odd texture on the lips and tongue.

Now I added "chicken" to the title, strictly to get more people to read this article, because pureed Caesar salad, isn't very catchy.  However, any protein can be added - tofu, shrimp, beef, hard-boiled egg, etc.  The protein also adds a better texture to the puree.

SIMPLE RECIPE
1 Unit protein (grilled chicken)<1 font="" pieces="">
2 Units romaine lettuce
1/2 unit Caesar Dressing
1 Unit crouton 
thin with water

WRAP RECIPE
1 8" wrap
1 cup (grilled chicken)<1 font="" pieces="">
2 cups romaine lettuce
1/4 cup Caesar Dressing 

thin with 3 cups water

OPTION
shredded cheese
tomatoes
squeeze of lemon
Avocado???


CHICKEN
If you decide to use breaded chicken, instead of grilled chicken, you can cut out most of the croutons.  

CROUTONS
In a pinch you can use dried bread stuffing.  During American Thanksgiving, you can make a Turkey Caesar Salad using turkey and bread stuffing.

CHEESE
Most Caesar salads include a little shredded cheese on top.  Easy enough to do.

TEMPERATURE
Serve chilled.  Definitely not something to serve warm . . . kinda unnerving

TOMATOES
When I got my grilled chicken Caesar salad wrap from Ken's NY Deli in Bedford MA they added tomatoes.  I don't traditionally have it with tomatoes, but tomatoes and chicken are always welcome together in a puree.

AVOCADO
I have not added an avocado to my Caesar salad, but I've seen other do it.  Avocados are highly recommended by dietitians to help fatten up cancer treatment patients who are losing weight rapidly.  The avocado might overwhelm the flavor for lip-sippers, less a problem for tummy-tubers.





Ken's New York Deli of Bedford, MA is one of my go-tos when testing new recipes


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment