Saturday, March 11, 2017

My One Hundredth - Boeuf Bourguignon -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My One Hundredth  - Boeuf Bourguignon -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

I dedicate this recipe to Rev. David Milam, who has been a spiritual inspiration.  Not just because he is a Rector, but because he is an awesome cook.  This summer we are going to test out these recipes with both able-bodied, lip-sippers, and tummy-tubers.

April 2010, I was diagnosed with tongue cancer. By July, I had a stomach peg. On 24 April, 2011, my wife, Randi, and I published our first recipe -  Stomach Peg Original Soup™ -SPOS.  

In 2014, I discovered I add Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma (ACC).  I opted to not have a stomach peg, but I still needed to make sure I got my nutrition.  Since both radiation treatments caused trimus, I decided that since God decided to keep me alive, I would create "100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients".  By 2015, my swallowing muscles had given out and it was time to put in a permanent G-tube. So I have been both a lip-sipper and a tummy-tuber

Which brings us to today.  My 100th recipe!!

I felt I needed to finish the list with a slow-cooker recipe.  Of all the things I learned during this process, it is that a heavy duty blender and a slow-cooker are the two most important tools you can have.  Boeuf Bourguignon  is a fabulous beef stew and really easy to make in a slow-cooker

SIMPLE RECIPE
In a slow cooker dump:
1 Unit piece of beef cut into <1 font="" pieces="">
1 Unit carrots cut into <1 pieces="" span="">
1 Unit celery cut into <1 pieces="" span="">
1 Unit onion cut into <1 pieces="" span="">
1 Unit potatoes cut into <1 pieces="" span="">
1 Unit red wine
1 Unit beef (or chicken) stock
1 Unit red tomato paste
1 Unit mushrooms cut into <1 nbsp="" pieces="" span="">
  ( I like portabello mushrooms, Julia Child likes button mushrooms) 

OPTION
1/2 Unit diced bacon

 Season with
Thyme, rosemary, sage, garlic, salt, black pepper, olive oil

Add water to cover the entire pile of ingredients.


UNIT
I use "UNITS" so you can vary the size of the recipe to fit your situation.  I now own a 6-quart slow-cooker and a 1 gallon slow-cooker.  This recipe can be made to both share with able-bodied eaters.  The longer you cook, the softer the food gets.

BEEF
If you want to be more traditional you can braze the meat first, to get a caramelizing brown yumminess. 

VEGGIES
Some people had other root vegetables, which is fine.  his recipe was created with vegetables I typically have on hand

POTATOES
I typically use fingerling potatoes, solely because it is easier for potion control.

PUREE
When you puree, you will need to add additional water.  Do not use additional red wine.  The idea was to burn off all the alcohol in the cooking process.



My newest toy a 6-Quart Hamilton Beach cooker.

This is not the end of recipes, just a landmark.  

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment