Saturday, September 6, 2014

My fourth recipe - Pigs in a Blanket -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My fourth recipe for the new cookbook - Pigs in a Blanket

1 pancake, or flapjack, or hotcake (cooked in butter) (Waffles, too)
1 breakfast sausage
milk as needed, soy, almond, and rice milk work too
1 swirl of syrup (as a New Englander, I recommend pure maple syrup)

OPTIONS:
Tree nuts (like Pecans)
Coffee (The coffee is a vasodilator, so I can cut down on my pain meds 
This recipe is dedicated to Alec Hoyland, my son, who is at college and at the cafeteria, he has a choice of scrambled eggs, bacon, and home-fries (or any combination of the three).

BREAKFAST CHOICES?
For my quick and easy breakfast I typically poach three eggs and add it to a morning smoothie with non-dairy milk, and a dash of coffee. 

UPDATE: 15 Dec. 2016
My current favorite breakfast is two waffles, one turkey sausage, Vt. Maple syrup, dash of pumpkin spice, 16 oz. black coffee, two Tylenol, 1/4 cup of blueberries.  Makes about 5 cups of puree.

My friend Mike Wade sent me a list of breakfast options from the web: http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/diet/pureedbreakfast.cfm#bacon%20and%20eggs 

Fall is known for family gatherings for the football season.  I was looking for the meal you would most likely encounter in a social situation.  I am a big fan of pancakes and waffles, so my list of comfort foods wouldn't be complete without adding them in.  Most item on a breakfast buffet can be pureed into a smoothie.

PANCAKE
Although, I've been known to drink cookie and pancake batter, I know that raw eggs can be dangerous.  Which lead me the experimentation of having to actually cook the batter.  You need to make sure that the pancake as a dark brown outside, otherwise when you puree it up it taste to much like pancake batter.  Waffles are a great second choice, just understand that you will need to puree the waffle longer to grind up all the little corners in a waffle.

BUTTER!  
After all that we have been through, we deserve butter.  I think all pancakes should be cooked in melted butter, instead of non-fat spray oil.  If I add hot coffee to my blender, I we add a 1/4 stick of butter . . . Don't judge me, you know you have always wanted to do this.

SAUSAGE
Any breakfast sausage with do.  I have become accustom to chicken sausage at my house.  My local Whole Foods makes the large "Italian Sausage-sized" breakfast sausage.  If you can find them, you only need 1/2 sausage per pancake.  

Remember that pre-made sausage might have RED PEPPER to make the sausage spicy.  You can even use paddies, because you don't have to worry about rolling the pancake around the sausage.

If you are super sensitive to spices, it was really easy to find recipes for make-your-own-paddy-sausage on the internet.  The beauty is that since you are pureeing the sausage, you don't have to mix the spices in, you can sprinkle them on top when you cook them.

My daughter is educating me on vegeburgers.  Turns out there are also vege-sausage.  Trader Joe's carries a meat-less sausage that has a wonderful sausage flavor.

SAUSAGE IN A PINCH
I often keep a pre-cooked ground meat in the refrigerator.  By adding traditional sausage spices to the blender with the ground meat, you can achieve the same taste.

MILK
All forms of dairy and non-dairy milk work as a thinning agent.

SYRUP
Got to have good syrup!  We deserve only the best syrup.  Don't tell my Canadian friends, but New England syrup is best - just like the Boston Bruins are better than the Montreal Canadians.


Local Farm Store

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.



FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment