Thursday, September 11, 2014

Steak and Potatoes -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My First recipe for the new cookbook - Steak and Potatoes

4 oz. cooked steak (pot roast works well)
1 cooked potato
8 oz. beef stock or pot roast juice
some chive
two scoops sour cream
3 pats of butter (or more)
dash of steak sauce or Blue Cheese
enough water to puree (about 2-3 cups) thickness is a personal preference


This recipe is dedicated to my niece Antonia Hoyland, who after I first posted the recipe, suggested that blue cheese would go fabulously with steak and potatoes. 

The ingredients are designed to be standard items that you would have on hand for steak and potato night.  This is literally a dump the ingredients in the blender and puree recipe.  When blending the ingredient you will need to monitor how much water you are adding.  It is hard to judge how much water the potato is going to need, as different potatoes are different sizes and have “dried out in the pantry” differently.

This recipe is a basic design, so if you have special dietary requirements, be sure to modify as needed. For example, I know a number of people with dairy restrictions.  I have tried the recipe with and without sour cream and butter – still taste great.

POTATO FIXINGS
How do you eat your potato? Sour Cream? Chives? Only add what you normally love on a potato.

BLENDERS
I have two blenders at home a Vitamix 500 and a Waring Model 51BL26.   The Vitamix has a “SOUP” setting that will puree the food right down to a liquefied drink.  The Waring even after 10 minutes will puree the food down to having very small but perceptible pulp.  If you are a friend of someone going through head or neck cancer I recommend joining with friends and purchase the survivor a Vitamix.  They are not cheap; however, they are a Godsend for the patient and the caregiver.
COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK


I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

1 comment:

  1. I do not have cancer. However, I wanted to take the time to thank you for your recipes. I have gastroparesis and unable to eat solid food. Your recipes are saving me from having a feeding tube. God Bless you and I will be praying for you

    ReplyDelete