Monday, September 15, 2014

My Ninth recipe - Chicken Cacciatore -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Ninth recipe for the new cookbook - Chicken Cacciatore

1 Chicken Cacciatore with pasta

or

1 unit. breaded and cooked cooked chicken
1 unit roasted red pepper
1 unit un-spiced tomato sauce
pesto, capers, oregano, and garlic to taste
dash of white wine
too much olive oil
Parmesan cheese to taste (I put cheese on everything)
thin with chicken broth
EXTRAS:
1 unit vegetable like spinach or zucchini


This recipe is dedicated to the military wives who put together a recipe book of favorites that my mom used for years, and started me on the road to being a foodie. 

Chicken Cacciatore is a classic what do I have on hand to make a dressy simple meal.  In my house, I am more likely to have a large jar of roasted red peppers on hand rather then fresh peppers in the vegetable bin.  I also recommend it because pepper skins can prove problematic for survivors with swallowing issues.

VEGETARIAN
Yes, Zucchini Cacciatore is excellent.  Ratatouille is not far down the path, and I recommend it too. I'm talking the food not the movie.

PASTA
Since everything is pureed it doesn't matter what the original pasta looked like.  However, after all that we have gone through, I recommend fresh pasta.  First, it taste so much better.  Second, pureeing fresh pasta is a lot easier.  I will often use a cheese ravioli or a tortellini - yes, because it has cheese in it.

VEGETABLE
The ladies in my life would be very mad at me if I didn't include vegetables in this dish.  And they are right.  These are meals, not dishes.  It is hard enough getting one cup of food down the throat.  The more goodness we can combine into one bowl the better.  Fall is a great time to add seasonal vegetables like summer squash and zucchini.  In the winter, I am likely to add frozen spinach or frozen kale.

NEXT DAY'S LUNCH
This meal travels to work well.  Unlike the sole florentine.  It is wonderful when my co-workers are jealous of the smell coming out of the microwave.   They are not jealous of the smell of sole florentine.  Today, I brought my Moussaka to work, only to find out I grabbed my container of blueberry smoothie instead.  Imagine my disappointment, it was a cool New England day, and I was going to have a nice not cup of moussaka . . .

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment