Thursday, September 25, 2014

My Twelfth recipe - Shrimp Scampi -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Twelfth recipe for the new cookbook - Shrimp Scampi

1 Shrimp Scampi

or

1 unit. cooked shrimp
1/2 unit pasta
1/2 unit broccoli
garlic
lots and lots of butter
Heavy cream
dash of white wine
too much olive oil
lemon squeeze
use pasta water to thin out the meal



This recipe is dedicated to New Orleans. 

So I'm watching the New NCIS New Orleans show, when I realized I did not have shrimp on the menu.  Shrimp Scampi is perfect for puree.  Great garlic flavor, extra heavy cream for putting on weight.  Also found out that the non-mint toothpaste does not kill the smell of the garlic.


SHRIMP
OK, so I'm a fan of Gulf of Mexico shrimp.  My mom use to buy it from the fish-lady who would come around in New Orleans.  But I'm not against Maine shrimp either.  The point is - when you puree it doesn't matter what the shrimp looked like in the first place.  Shrimp does get swallowed up in the flavors of a pureed shrimp scampi.  With the main dish, you get to bite a shrimp tail with a little sauce.  Add extra shrimp to the puree.

PASTA
Any pasta will do - but I still think if you are making it yourself, use angel hair pasta.  There is something magical about angel hair.  Other pastas have the look of "my kids' pasta".  Our family has also been experimenting with rice pastas which are great for survivors with gluten issues.  When I switched the pasta on the kids, they didn't even notice.

BROCCOLI
Except maybe peppers, broccoli has always been my favorite vegetable to go with garlic and pasta.  Just blanch the broccoli, or even cook it in the pasta water.  You are going to use the pasta water to thin it out anyway.  I use florets, if you are going to use stalks, I recommend over-cooking them.

Last night I substituted zucchini, which purees beautifully.

SPICES AND CREAM
Lots of Butter!  Lots of Garlic! Lots of Cream!  The more cream you add the longer the puree stays warm.  When the dish gets cold, it is not as much fun.  Perfectly fine to re-microwave.  I do not recommend letting this dish refrigerate for a meal the next day.   Something about shrimp scampi two days in a row loses the charm.  Not to mention your co-workers will appreciate your breathe.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff do you purée all the ingredients together for a dish like this, or even your steak and pities recipe or do you purée sepratetly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff do you purée all the ingredients together for a dish like this, or even your steak and pities recipe or do you purée sepratetly

    ReplyDelete