Sunday, September 7, 2014

My Sixth recipe - Buffalo Chicken and Rice -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Sixth recipe for the new cookbook - Buffalo Chicken and Rice


1 unit cooked boneless thigh or leg meat
dash to a pour of buffalo sauce or BBQ sauce
1 unit cooked rice or potato
at least one unit sweet tea as needed to thin the meal (or heavy cream)
1 dollop of Daisy sour cream
blue cheese as needed


This recipe is dedicated to Lindsay Vaughn, who always made the best buffalo Chicken Dip the Friday before New England Patriot.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
It's the first weekend of the NFL season.  I needed a meal that can be served at Patriot Day games.

CHICKEN
I have always been a fan of dark meat chicken.  Yes, I was that kid who always took the dark meat from the Kentucky Fried Chicken original-style bucket.  As much as I would have loved to use chicken wings for this recipe, trying to peel the meat off the bone would have taken forever.  Besides my passion for dark meat, I am slowly discovering that white chicken meat does not puree very well.  I cannot get the same results with my blender, as I can with the Vitamix.  Sometimes the meal comes out too, well, chalky.
Although I've used both thighs and legs, for simplicity I normally use boned thighs.  I recommend boiling the thighs first, before you either grill, bake, or fry the thighs, to help retain as much moisture as possible.

BUFFALO SAUCE
Go light, my friend, go light. When adding buffalo sauce to the blender go lightly.  You can never un-pour buffalo sauce.  And even after the meal is blended, you can always add more per serving.  I gave an option to substitute BBQ sauce, in case buffalo sauce is not to your liking.

RICE OR POTATO
Buffalo Chicken puree is too intense by itself.  One idea is to add rice to bulk up the recipe. The other idea is to add potato because most game day meals include several forms of potato.
Today I am going to try pureeing cheddar and bacon potato skins to see how those work in the meal.  It might be that you have to have two cups - buffalo chicken in one and potato skins in another, and then take turns sipping each of the cups*.

SWEET TEA OR HEAVY CREAM
Yes, sweet tea - it's a southern thing.  Yes, heavy cream - it's a northern thing.  I will probably switch to heavy cream when the Patriots start playing when there is snow on the field.

DOLLOP OF DAISY
It is a tradition with my daughter and I. My daughter is a foodie like her father.  There are certain brands you don't mess with . . . Ok, my New England friends are allowed to use Hood - it's a Boston thing.

BLUE CHEESE
In this house, blue cheese is considered a separate food group.  We add a lot more blue cheese than is consider normal, so I can't really tell you how much blue cheese to add.  Remember that you can't un-add blue cheese.

WHAT IS A UNIT?
Part of the problem with eating while you go through Head and Neck Cancer treatment is you never can get enough food in the body.  You are going to lose weight.  So get the most out of every meal. Some days are better than others.  Ideally, I'd love every recipe to be about proportions and the ratio of ingredients. Whatever volume you use for the main ingredient, use the proportion  on all ingredients.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.

* sipping out of two different cups is SO much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment