Saturday, September 6, 2014

My Fifth recipe - Pork Slider and Slaw -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Fifth recipe for the new cookbook - Pork Slider and Cole Slaw
1 unit slow-cooked BBQ pork (done the right way, if you can't make it yourself have a professional make it)
dash or two of extra sauce
1/2 unit cornbread
sweet tea as needed to thin it out (or beer* is your nutritionist allows it)
1/2 coleslaw


This recipe is dedicated to Christine Pinney and Lester's Roadside Bar-B-Q, Burlington MA.  Christine challenged me to come up with the recipe.   Once I realized I did not have the skill set to prepare a proper pulled pork.  I drove over to Lester's and talked about my situation - they were more than happy to help.  

IT IS A MEAL
I created this meal working backwards.  I wanted to make sure that the after-taste is the most important part.  I have yet to meet someone who eats sliders without drinking either sweet tea or a cold beer.  It's in the southern handbook (look it up).

FLORIDA GATORS?
It's football season and the Florida Gators play their first game of the season in one hour**.  The biggest situation, as a loyal fan, you are going to run into as a true tail-gator, is what to eat in the parking lot.  My friend Mike Conrad writes article under Gotta Have Gadgets.  He highlighted a cordless Margarita maker.  So I figure, there has got to be a way to rig up a blender while tail-gating. I'm not beyond re-purposing a margarita maker to do pulled pork.  I really I do have my priorities.

PULLED PORK
The fact that there is a Florida Gator working at Lester's has nothing to do with the fact that I think they are the best in the area.  I understand that if you are in an area of the world where you have to buy your pulled pork from a supermarket, that you consider yourself living in a third world country.  I'm sure Amazon Prime can overnight something better to you.  It is important to start with serious! pulled-pork.  Remember to get the extra sauce.  Second, remember that the sauce can be very spicy.  Pureeing the pork is going to need as much extra juice as possible.

The other day I picked up Pulled-Pork from a local supermarket hot food bar.  I didn't realize that one of the ingredients was chipotle   - ow ow ow I was on fire.  Did not see that one coming.

CORNBREAD
Although a slide goes on a bun, there is nothing better with pulled pork, than home-made cornbread - toss it in.

SWEET TEA
The whole way home from Lester's I was racking my brain trying to figure out what to use to thin out the meal.  It's 90 degrees out my air-conditioner in the truck is broken, and I suckin' on sweet tea.  DUH, it only made sense.   I add the sweet tea, ice and all, into the blender is I'm outdoors,  because drinkin' a hot drink, on a hot day just doesn't work

COLESLAW
Coleslaw is the problematic issue, because you need to make sure that the blender can puree the cabbage fine enough.  Make sure that if your cabbage in the slaw is still firm, that you blend the meal longer than you might think you need to.

WENDY'S
Wendy's now has a pulled pork sandwich.   I stopped in last night, explained my condition, and asked if I could get it without a bun.  She was really happy to be able to help me - even going so far as to putting the food in plastic instead of paper, so the food would be fresh and moist when I got home.

EUROPE
It is nice to see that readers in England, France and Poland read this Blog.  I'd love to know if there is tail-gating in the EU countries.  Please feel free to leave me a comment.  I am always locating for ethnic or regional meals.

WHAT IS A UNIT?
Part of the problem with eating while you go through Head and Neck Cancer treatment is you never can get enough food in the body.  You are going to lose weight.  So get the most out of every meal. Some days are better than others.  Ideally, I'd love every recipe to be about proportions and the ratio of ingredients. Whatever volume you use for the main ingredient, use the proportion  on all ingredients.

*There are non-alcoholic beers that you can use to thin it out.  As long as you are using it in a recipe, you aren't really drinking it, so you don't have to worry about losing proper real man status at the tail-gate.  Besides you just kicked ass on cancer, no one should challenge you.
**OK the first game was cancelled because of thunder and lightning.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.



FACEBOOK




I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.


No comments:

Post a Comment