Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My Seventh recipe - Sole Florentine -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Seventh recipe for the new cookbook - Sole Florentine
1 unit Sole Florentine

or if you need to make it from scratch

1 unit sole
1 unit frozen spinach
1 unit boiling water
1 unit pasta or rice pilaf (Polenta works well too)
1/2 unit ricotta cheese
1/2 unit mozzarella or provolone
dash nutmeg
dash of seasoning salt


This recipe is dedicated to my wife, Randi, who is a pescatarian.  I needed to make sure that fish is represented well.  This past summer, she was brought to tears because she has lost her favorite dinner partner, because there was nearly nothing I could eat.  I now deliberately make a bowl of food and sit with her when she comes home late from working a Neiman Marcus. 

DUH
Over the last couple of weeks, friends have been submitting suggestions for meals.  My friend David Blake, from Colorado, suggested Chicken Florentine with Alfredo sauce, (I'm working on it), which made me think "why hadn't I added one of the most common and mild seafood dishes of all time".

SOLE
I'm not a stickler for sole.  I, being in New England, know there are a lot of choices of whitefish - flounder, haddock, cod.  In fact the old fishermen's tale is that Scrod and Schrod were used to denote the use of Cod or Haddock.  Since we are going to brutally puree the fish anyway, there is little sense it using such a wonderful light fish as sole. Suddenly, the Disney song "Le Poisson" popped into my head.

PREMADE
I gave this one, two options, because the goal of these meals is so the survivor can have the same meal that everyone else is having.  Not much special prepping is needed to turn a traditional Sole Florentine into puree - just add water.  This is also a good dish when you want to practice chewing again, because you can chew as much as you can (before your mouth muscles get tired) and then puree the rest.

FROM SCRATCH
Boil water.
Add spinach to water, bring the mixture back to a boil
Add fish on top - cook the fish through
add spices
Dump cheese into blender
Dump fish mixture into blender.
Dump pasta or rice into blender
Add extra water as needed

WHAT IS A UNIT
Part of the problem with eating while you go through Head and Neck Cancer treatment is you never can get enough food in the body.  You are going to lose weight.  So get the most out of every meal. Some days are better than others.  Ideally, I'd love every recipe to be about proportions and the ratio of ingredients. Whatever volume you use for the main ingredient, use the proportion  on all ingredients.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment