Sunday, November 16, 2014

My Twenty-seventh - Chili Soft Taco (Nachos) -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Twenty-seventh  recipe for the new cookbook - Chili Soft Taco (Nachos)

1 Unit chili soft taco with cheese


or


1 chili (w/meat) and bean

1 unit shredded cheese
1/2 unit corn bread
1/2 unit blue corn chips

options


Sour Cream

Guacamole
mild salsa
mango salsa
green onions

thin with water or non-alcoholic sex in a canoe (Google it)



CHEESE NACHOS VS. CHILI SOFT TACO

Eureka!  Corn chips, cheese and salsa never seemed to work right.  OK, so I was never going to be able to get the crunch of a good nacho, but then I hit on the idea of a soft taco, and everything started to come together.  With a soft tortilla, I got the flavor combination and the thickness needed to keep the meat from sinking to the bottom.  I thought that enough corn chips would be able to compensate, but the chips always overwhelmed everything else. The chili soft taco was my first success, and I shared the meal with a good Friend, Bill Kenerson, while he enjoyed a traditional soft taco chili carne.

CHILI

How to fix the chili?  What I needed was one set of beans in the chili to help add thickener.  Doesn't matter whether it it black beans, kidney beans, white beans, etc. just a little bit of bean with the soft tortilla does the trick. I also add a lot of cumin to my chili recipe, and then cut way back on the chili powder and chipotle.  I serve them on the side for my "chewer" guests.

NACHOS

Overwhelming corn chip taste.  No one like nachos where it is all corn chip and no cheese.  At any nacho-serving restaurant, there is always to battle of who gets the nachos with the good stuff and who gets left with the plain chips.  So by swapping out a little bit of blue corn chip and add 50% corn bread.  The corn flavor does not overwhelm the dish.   You just need the taste of corn chips, and blue corn chips give you the most flavor for the least amount of chip  In my typical 3 cup version, I'm only adding about 6 chips.

The Second issue was that the corn chips were always to grainy, and made the dish a textural nightmare.  After eating so many softly pureed foods, the chucks of corn chip are very jarring to the mouth; and the little bits get stuck behind teeth and gums, making for a rather unpleasant experience.


The real question you need to ask - Which is the most important flavor - chips, chili, or cheese?  Cheat and add a little more of your favorite


6 December 2016 Update - I have discovered that you can buy "sandwich sliced" cheddar cheese, and I typically take one slice of cheese per 2 cups of water.


FISH

2 March 2017 Update - I have discovered that fish tacos pureed are awesome.  I first started with salmon, because I typically cook an entire side of salmon my wife loves it that much.  So there is almost always salmon in the refrigerator.  I then tested cod, then sole, then tilapia.  However, then best option is fish stick tacos when the kids are eating fish sticks for dinner.

OPTIONS

Certainly all the traditional extra topping are available - sour cream, green onions, guacamole, mild salsa, mango, etc.  Just remember that you are adding just a little bit for flavor.  Think about how little is added compared to the typical large platter of nachos supreme and any restaurant.

Glad I created this in time for tonight's New England Patriots Game.



COMMENTS

Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment