Thursday, November 13, 2014

My Twenty-fifth - Philly cheesesteak -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Twenty-fifth  recipe for the new cookbook - Philly Cheesesteak

1 Unit Philly cheesesteak (sub)

or

1 unit shaved raw steak
1 unit slice white onion
1 unit slice green pepper
1 unit sliced mushrooms
1 unit hoagie roll
1 unit provolone cheese
butter
Worcestershire
secret sauce

Option: dash of pickle brine



This recipe is dedicated to Philadelphia NFL Quarterback, Mark Sanchez.  This past week I passed two kidney stones (kidney stones don't care about whether you are a cancer survivor*), and have been a failure at pureed nachos.  I needed some up lifting news.  When Mark said that he would have his first Philly Cheesesteak when he won a Monday night game, I had my inspiration for my 25th meal

OK so I didn't grow up in Philly,  but you have to appreciate greatness, and Philly Cheesesteak is one of the top sandwiches of all-time.  Yes, even I am stunned that you can puree a Philly Cheesesteak.  And I know there are people out there who have been on a pureed diet who are truly crving one right now.


THE REAL THING
You buy the real thing.  OK you live too far for Philadelphia,  I'll give you a poor-man's second

RECIPE
Heat up a pan with oil, and add beef.  I prefer the raw shabu-shabu style beef from H-Mart-always high quality and plenty of fabulous fat marbled in.  Cook meat through and though - remove to blender.  Add provolone to blender.

Take apart onion slice and cook onions until rings fold in half (key technique).  While onion are cooking dice up the green peppers and add to onions.

Normally the peppers are in strips, but since you are going to puree them, the only thing that matters is that the peppers are as thoroughly cooked as the onions.

Add canned mushrooms.  Most places sell small cans of spliced mushrooms, so they are a staple in my pantry.  Just before cooking is done - add a little butter.  Remove the onions, peppers, and mushrooms, but leave all the liquid in the pan.

Place the hoagie roll into the pan and grill.  GOT TO DO THIS!  To me it is just not a Philly cheesesteak without a grilled roll.

Make sure that when you puree the meal, that you do not thin the mixture to much.  Found out the hard way, that a thin mixture suck all the life out of it.   Should have a consistency of pea soup.  Do not watch the Bruins get trounced 6-1 by the Toronto Maple Leafs while you enjoy it.  Watch Down-east dickering instead or even NBC boxing.

OPTION
A proper Philly cheeseseak always has a cold pickle on the side,  add just the smallest dash of pickle juice for a pop of authentic flavor.

*  My cancer scans showed that the stones were there, and I usually pass a stone every six years, so it was about time.

UPDATE
26 July 2016
Just saw a video for a FRENCH DIP that can be pureed


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.


No comments:

Post a Comment