Saturday, November 15, 2014

My Twenty-sixth - Toasted Ravioli and Meatballs -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Twenty-sixth  recipe for the new cookbook - Toasted Ravioli and Meatballs

Just before Halloween my boss came up to me and asked what she should order so I could be part of a team lunch on Halloween.  I told her about my success with Panera Bread.  She ordered sandwiches and cookies for everyone, and a container of cheddar broccoli soup for me.  ALL GOOD!  I started lunch early and ended late, and really felt part of the meal.

Yesterday, my company had it's annual charity auction over lunch time.  I always drop some change, because one of the recipients is THE CAM NEELY FOUNDATION.  For Lunch, there were meatballs, toasted ravioli, garlic bread, fresh veggies and salad.  I looked over the assortment, and thought "Well, maybe I'll wait until after lunch to puree up some food.  This is a standard issue with people who have to puree their food.  Here I am a champion of pureed food, and still to shy to puree up a meal and eat with the crowd.

1 Unit* toasted ravioli
1 Unit Meatball
2 units extra sauce

optional "inside" of Garlic Bread

thin with water


25 MEALS OF EXPERIENCE
So I have 25 meals under belt.  I can now look at a luncheon assortment and realize what is going to work.  I had chewed all this food back when I could eat, so I knew the consistency of each dish.  A couple of toasted raviolis (which require extra liquid because they are drier than you think); a couple of meatballs; extra meat sauce; and finally I scooped out the inside of a little garlic bread.  The ravioli would provide all the starch I needed, so I didn't need the bread - just the garlic and butter.

I added hot water from the water cooler to heat up the meal, and make blending easier.

Now the blender I keep at work, is a highly inferior model, when compared with a Vitamix.  I was given it as an emergency blender, and it travels with me.  You just need to remember that you need to blend it longer.  Vitamix usually takes 4 minutes or more.  Other blenders may take up to 10 minutes.  By the time I was done blending, there were still small chucks, but nothing that wasn't manageable.

TASTY
Besides my son, I never asked a "chewer" to try my meals.  Today was going to be different. My co-worker, Patrick, and I started about the same time.  OK, so he has a couple of months on me and won't let me forget it.  He is also about half my age.  We have a great working relationship, because he is at the beginning of his career, and I am at the end.   He has been keeping tabs on my progress, so if I can trust someone with my first sample - it would be him.

"Patrick, would you like a taste?"  Pause.  "Yea, I think I would"  He grabbed a small paper cup and poured himself a little bit.  " You know this is kind of like soup.  It has all the flavors that should be there."  SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEEEE.  I think that is the best response I could get.

After that I asked one more person, and again a positive response.  OK Jeff, you are on a roll,  how about attacking that pureed Nachos again . . .
My current favorite ravioli available at Costco

* A unit is whatever size you want.  Whatever you choose, use the same measurement for all ingredients.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

1 comment: