Saturday, June 11, 2016

Top Summertime cook-out option -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

June means Summer cook-outs for the northern hemisphere (yes, I have readers in Australia) and we shouldn’t be excluded from the fun.  Below is a quick list of the dishes that can be pureed this summer http://jeffscotthoyland.blogspot.com/

Six years ago, I had tongue cancer and I had a stomach peg. My wife, Randi, and I created Stomach Peg Original Soup™ -SPOS.
2014, I discovered I had Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma (ACC). I opted to not have a stomach peg, but I still needed to make sure I got my nutrition.

After two "tours of duty" with radiation treatment, my jaw muscle on the treatment side tightened to the point where I could barely chew. Everything I “ate” had to be pureed. After several months of enduring cold pureed food, I joined a support group for head and neck cancer patients at Emerson Hospital. Turns out the pureed food issue is common among head and neck survivors.

We decided that the internet is full of cold fruit smoothies; tasteless veggie shakes; and creamy, milky, yummy, dairy treatment. What we craved are hot meals that everyone else at the back porch table was eating. Most of us have been shunned from picnics, because we can’t eat what everyone else is eating. We want to join in on mealtime again. We wished we could convert normal meals into something for us. We joked that we should create a “recipe” book. I went home that night and decided it needed to get done.

Below is the list of SPOS Soup and my recommendations for summer cookouts:
Steak and Potatoes just add BBQ sauce
My Thirty-first - KFC it’s basically fried chicken



 COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.





If I can catch a keeper, I'll add it to the recipes









No comments:

Post a Comment