Saturday, January 14, 2017

My Ninetieth - Italian Sausage Pepper and Onion Sub -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Ninetieth - Italian sausage pepper and onion sub -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

I actually thought, I should wait until MLB training started in a month or so, because my favorite memories of Italian subs are outside Fenway Park for a Red Sox game.  A proper sub has been sitting in the vendor cart for a while, and has that one burned strip, which seems to add extra flavor.  Or sure they were have the price of the admission ticket - BUT SO WORTH IT.

When I started testing my recipe, I debated whether to use Italian chicken sausage from Whole Foods, and then guilt road over me and said, Bitch, Please . . . .   If I was going to test it out, I had to do pork.  For decades, I used the Al fresco chicken sausage, but I'm going old-school on this one

I happened to be at my local farm-stand, Chip-in Farm, picking up fresh eggs, whenI saw in their freezer that they had sweet Italian sausage - BONUS!!  Turns out the sausage was not in casings, which is great because they tend to be a concern with blenders and G-tubes.  They also had "Hot" Italian sausage, but most of us can't handle spicy food.

Now, I've already made mention that my wife hates me cooking red meats in the house, and it is winter, and the windows are closed. . .  But this isn't my first rodeo,  so I decided to make an extra stop and pick up a side of Sockeye Salmon (wive's favorite).  The easiest way to disguise the smell of cooked pork in the house is to cook the pork in the morning with the fan on, and then cook a side of salmon in the oven right before she gets home . . . . just being real for all of you.

The recipe can also be used with sausage, peppers,and onions slow cooked with pasta.

RECIPE: 


One sausage
same amount cooked red or orange pepper
same amount cooked onion
half a sub butter-grilled or toasted


OPTIONS:

Steak sauce
Mustard
1/2 slice of cheese
non-alcoholic beer to thin, about one bottle

makes about to two-cup servings

MEAT

Although I have a tendency to slow cook my sausage, it is important to add a little bit a "browning" to the meat.  Flavor value goes way up.  If use are concerned about the casings, peal them off.  This meal should be fun, and not cause any anxiety.


RED/ORANGE PEPPER
I'm breaking with tradition here, because pureed SauPepOnion Sub made with green onions is a hot mess of ugliness, if you use cooked green onions.  I think the phrase - TRY THE GREY STUFF IT'S DELICIOUS would apply.  Cooked red or orange peppers add a much more appetizing color to the puree.  Although is visual is not an issue - use Italian peppers (from the garden)

SUB ROLL
A buttered toasted piece of white bread will work in a pinch.  So will a Hawaiian roll.  I'm hooked on Piantedosi sub rolls from Malden, MA.  Point is - it has to be buttered, and it has to be grilled or toasted

CHEESE
I don't judge . . . if you are a cheese fan GO FOR IT.

STEAK SAUCE
A dash is a nice pop.  My suggestion is to skip the sauce to start. Pour out the first serving, and then add a dash to the second serving.  Especially important for lip-sippers to keep the meal from getting boring.

MUSTARD
Use the same rule of thumb as STEAK SAUCE




Chip-in Farm, Bedford, MA
Buy Local

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.


FACEBOOK


I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment