Saturday, January 28, 2017

My Ninety-Fifth - Stir Fry -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Ninety-Fifth - Stir Fry -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Dedicated to Van Ny is one of my favorite foodie friends who always post great pics of feasts on Facebook


I wife's favorite bring home food in "Szechuan Spicy Bean Curd".  Tofu is not a popular world in my house - not sure why, but I roll with it. My daughter is more of a "Vegetable Lo Mein Noodles" gal. I usually choose something to puree out of the appetizer menu like chicken fingers or Peaking Raviolis.

But now that it is Chinese/Korean New Year and we are headed into the Year of the Cock, I thought I should highlight "stir fry". The Second dish that we all agree on are stir-fried vegetables

To start with, back in the 80's, I had my large Chinese wok, like every other foodie.  It was easy to cook up vegetables quickly and made the house smell delicious.

Five moves later, the wok disappeared, and was replaced with a large saute pan, because I no longer had four roommates in an apartment in Somerville, MA which made me fell like I was preparing food for an army.


Now the number one reason stir fry made the list is because of poop.  Yes, Poop.  Most of the recipes on this list are terrible about constipation.  One of the biggest topics that are not talked about during cancer treatment is opioid induced constipation.  There, I said it.  Now there are a number of drugs you can take, but by the time you take them, you are already in pain - don't go there.  So, stir fry gets more vegetables going through the system.


Alright, back to talking about the fun side of stir fry.  There are four parts to a great stir fry - 1) protein, crisp vegetables, ginger, and starch.  For a good puree, you can almost skip the starch.

RECIPE

one cup of stir fry
one cup of tea/green tea

RICE

Stir fry rice is the "American Pancake" of Asian Food.  It is really just there as a filler, and used to soak up the syrup . . . Ginger Soy Sauce, is very thin and tends to sink to the bottom of a plate.  With puree you don't have that issue - so you can mostly skip it.


PROTEIN
Pick what you like best.  I like beef and dark chicken meat, my ladies like bean curd.  Easy enough to make a veggie only stir fry and cook the meats on the side.  I feel that a traditional stir fry is 3/4 vegetables and 1/4 meat.  Works for the puree too.

Yes, it feels weird to go into a supermarket and buy 3 large scallops.  But they are still great it a stir fry, but I wait until summertime and cook them out of the grill.

VEGETABLE
Cabbage.  Got to have cabbage.  There are dozens of types of cabbage, including broccoli. Cabbage is great because it remains firm when you flash cook it.  Just remember that you need to blend the puree longer than you might think.  Don't worry cabbage can handle it.

Root vegetables, like carrots, are popular too. You don't even have to cut them fancy, unless you are sharing them with others

Traditional Chinese vegetables puree fine - bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, or pea pod.

GINGER
MUST HAVE GINGER.  Ginger is a good cancer fighter, but might be tough on a sore mouth.  But for tummy tubers, I do enjoy a good ginger burp.  Ginger also helps you stay warm.  Ginger tea is popular drink in my house in Winter.



Happy Year of the Cock

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.


FACEBOOK


I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment