Thursday, January 19, 2017

My Ninety-Second - breakfast sandwich -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Ninety-Second - breakfast sandwich -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients


Every time I drive by a McDonald's or a Dunkin Donuts, the car pulls over to the right.  It dawned on me that a lot of us are used to having our daily breakfast sandwich before we headed off to work.  Then Cancer Treatment forced us to stay at home, and we lost our routine.

When I went back to work, co-workers were still bringing in donuts, which I pureed with my portable blender at work.  But what I really wanted for breakfast was something savory, because I was so tired of all the sweet smoothies I was eating. UGH, one more banana smoothie . . . . 

Whether is is an Egg McMuffin, Taco Bell Grilled Breakfast Burrito, or a Belgian Waffle Breakfast Sandwich they all have protein, starch and grease/fat.  All the important parts of a good puree.

RECIPE: 


One sandwich - quartered

(makes a little over 2 cups of puree)
2 cup warm water/coffee ( sandwiches tend to be very dry, so keep an eye on how much liquid you add)


EGG
They all have egg in common.  Scrambled egg some times sink to the bottom, but with all the starch, the egg tends to be suspended better


MEAT
There are all kinds of meats available from hams, to turkey sausage, to steak, to chicken . . . which add plenty extra protein.

CHEESE
A little cheese is great.  Which is why it needs to be served warm.

NOTHING HEALTHY
OK, I'll be honest, I don't think there is anything healthy about a pureed breakfast sandwich, but that is hot the point.  Yes, I never puree a sausage, egg and cheese on a toasted bagel in front of my wife. (but that is what 6 AM is for . . . )  And adding vegetables, will not make it healthier.  So know that this puree is all about love. And who doesn't love salty ground meat microwaved with pre-made egg paddy and a pre-sliced cheese on a toasted piece of overpriced bread. YYYYUUUUUMMMMMM!



Fresh local eggs are key
Buy Local

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.


FACEBOOK



I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment