Wednesday, October 8, 2014

My Sixteenth recipe-Veggie-burger supreme- -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Sixteenth recipe for the new cookbook - Veggie-burger Supreme

1 veggie-burger
1 cup of cooked rice
1 cup of vegetables Holy Trinity or frozen mixed vegetables
thin with rice milk
Ketchup appears to be important too


This recipe is dedicated my daughter Sienna who is educating me on veggie-burgers.

OK so veggie burgers is not something you would normally eat so you are surprised that I included it in a pureed form.  My daughter is a foodie so being a good tasting veggie burger is important.  You can actually find quite a number of different flavors in the frozen section of the supermarket.

I called it veggie Supreme because you probably wouldn't have read it if I just said veggie burgers come and get them . . .  As part of my over all recipe book, I wanted meals in a bowl, not just a side dish.  My daughter has taught me a number of ways she prepares burgers with starch and vegetable.  Actually the biggest complaint about veggie burgers is the texture, and we have solved that by pureeing it.  Oh and don't forget to add ketchup.  Most of my meals included tomato sauce, this one need Ketchup.

So on any given shopping trip you might find us standing in front of the freezer door checking to see what flavors are new to try.   If there is one thing she has taught me, is that veggie burgers are a personal taste.  So don't feel that if you tried it once and failed that you are going to skip it all together.

I've had a number of dishes that feature proteins that are not universally eaten.  My wife would like me to eat less of the heavily salted or nitrite-less meats.  Many of my friends are vegetarians and vegans,  and although cancer probability is lessened  in their case, it can still happen.

PORRIDGE
The biggest issue with veggie burgers and veggie sausage, is that it tends to sink to the bottom of the bowl.  This is one dish that needs to be thicker than the rest.  This is not something you can slug down.  If your pucker muscles are hard to function  this might not be a first choice for puree.

HOLY TRINITY
Different ethnic groups have different combinations for the Holy Trinity of vegetables - Cajun is usually onions, bell peppers, and celery; Italian is typically onions, celery, and carrots.  The goal is to add three different flavors to help round out the flavor of the burger. For those who are looking for a simple solution, use a cup of mixed veges ( my daughter would rather cook than slice vegetables, and since she is the teacher - I'd run with it).

RICE
I cook the vegetable in my rice.  Once again my chef friends are going to go nuts, but we are pureeing them together any way, no need to dirty a second pan.  We have far to many other things to worry about when we are healing from cancer treatment than cleaning dishes.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than sending a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment