Thursday, October 2, 2014

My Fourteenth recipe - Sweet and Sour Chicken -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Fourteenth recipe for the new cookbook - Sweet and Sour Chicken

1 Sweet and Sour Chicken


This recipe is dedicated to the delivery man, back in the 80's, in Somerville that had two young daughters who would ride with him every once in a while.  Once someone at our house ordered Chinese food, everyone who came home after that ordered more.  We were also good tippers, so the food arrived at our house piping hot. 

One of the biggest issues with pureed food is going to a house when they are "ordering out".  Pizza so far has not been a friendly food to puree (but I'm not giving up hope).  At least if you get a chance to look at the menu, you can find something that might puree.    The Chinese menu is very puree-friendly.

I am always concerned when I am invited over to a friends house that there will not be anything for me to eat.  Yes, I often eat before I leave my house.  Most people are sensitive to your needs, they just don't know what to do.  You will need to tell them exactly what you need.  It doesn't have to be embarrassing, they want to help - they just don't know how; and they will be appreciative that you helped educate them.

Chinese food has been on my list to check out, and three days of rain lent itself to the perfect opportunity to order out from Bamboo Restaurant.  The keys for ordering out: protein, and equal amount of starch, and hopefully some vegetables.  Item to look out for is spicy peppers.

SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
I knew that the batter on the chicken was going to help out on this recipe.  Bamboo always puts the sauce on the side, which allowed me to make several batches and test how much sauce I needed to add - turns out not that much.  It does take quite a bit more water/green tea than I expected.  It also allows you to make every small batch (3 pieces of chicken at a time).  I did notice that the "sour" part of the meal, made my nose run.

VEGETABLE FRIED RICE
I was on a roll so I tested Fried Rice too.  Work like a charm.  You can take any plain chicken or vegetable and puree it with the fried rice to have a Chinese style meal.  Chinese style cabbage puree easily. Many of the Chinese mushrooms had anti-cancer properties.

VEGETABLE LO MEIN
I'm going to assume that this will work.  My daughter came home from school and finished it before I had a chance to puree any of it.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment