Monday, June 27, 2016

My Sixtieth - Chili Dog -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Sixtieth  recipe for the new cookbook - Chili Dog

My mom made one of my favorite chili con carnes, when I was growing up.  Slow cooked ground beef, McCormick's chili spice, canned stewed tomatoes, dark red kidney beans . . . YUM.  I'm sure she still has the index card with the recipe on it.   When you are feeding a family of ten, it is a great way to feed the masses  and have leftovers.

I continued that tradition with my two children; although, the recipe changed over time.  The beef changed to bison, then the bison changed to zucchini.   My son is the meat-eater and my daughter is the vegetarian.  The simple McCormick's chili powder was supplemented with extra cumin.  The stewed canned tomatoes, changed to tetra boxed purred tomato sauce.  Now, I always add rice to make it thicker.

If both children are home, I make a vegetarian version with cooked bison on the side.

VEGETARIAN VERSION - FULL FAMILY MEAL
1/2 cup veggie oil
2 medium Zucchini (or summer squash)
1 large Vidalia Onion (or large yellow onion)
cook on medium heat until they start to bown turn heat down to low
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tetra box kidney bean/black beans/ pinto beans
dash of garlic
dash of cocoa powder
2 cups cooked white rice, or you can cook the rice in the chili pot

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS EXTRAS
1/2 red/green bell pepper
pinch of fresh cilantro
1/2 a squeezed line
avocado on the side - I add it to my puree too


ALWAYS SERVE TOPPED WITH CHEDDAR CHEESE OR DAISY SOUR CREAM

So, I bought my first Red Sox tickets for this season, and I have been craving hot dogs and Italian sausage.  The nice thing about hot dogs, is that you can cook a package up on the grill and save them in the refrigerator for pureeing them later.

HOT DOG
Pick your favorite.  I've used most of them, including Italian sausage in a pinch.  Beef, Pork, Chicken, Turkey, Soy are puree just fine.  Recently, I've been into Kayem hot dogs.  Since hot dog have already been pureed, they work great. Favor why, I prefer grilled hot dogs to boiled hot dogs.

PUREEING
Typically I use one dog, one cup chili, and one cup water to make two cups of puree.  Depending on how dry the cooked rice is, you might need to add more water

HOT DOG BUN
Skip it.  I mean really, the bun it just to keep the chili from falling in your lap, and it doesn't do a very good job of that.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment