Wednesday, June 22, 2016

My Fifty-ninth- Chicken Pad Thai -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Fifty-ninth  recipe for the new cookbook - Chicken Pad Thai


Serendipity is one of the greatest ways to create a recipe.

For the last couple of months, I have been only posting recipes that are part of a larger meal that everyone is sharing.  The other day, I felt lazy.  I didn't want to spend a lot of time making my lunch, so I thought I would just puree a box of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.  I was about to puree it when I saw the jar of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) next to it, and it dawned on my I had most everything I needed for a quick version of pureed Chicken Pad Thai.

I was probably inspired, because on Father's Day, my whole family visited my son at college in Waltham, MA.  We ordered Chinese food, because I knew I could puree Sweet and Sour Chicken.  After dinner, we took a warm Summer night walk to the local Ice Cream Shop - Lizzy's. While we walked back we talked about the variety of different ethnic restaurants there are on Moody Street.  The Thai restaurant smelled so good.

I always keep tetra boxes of soup in the pantry for those days when I just don't want to fuss in the kitchen.

TWO SERVING SIZE
1 box/can of chicken noodle soup
1/4 cup of PB2
dash of fish sauce
1/2 a green onion - you can decide whether you want the top half, the bottom half, or split down the middle
dash of lemon juice
1 pat of butter

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS EXTRAS
dash of crushed red peppers
tablespoon of peanut oil
pinch of bean sprouts
pinch of ginger
pinch of cilantro
floret of broccoli 


enough water to puree (about 2-3 cups) thickness is a personal preference


WHY PB2
Vultures.  I have a house of Vultures.  The vultures will eat my peanut butter and take several days to replace it.  I find that they will not steal my powdered peanut butter.  Also, since it is powdered, it is a lot easier to measure and puree.


WARMING THE SOUP
I have a SOUP Setting on my Vitamix that warms up the puree while it whirls.  If you don't have that, you can always warm the soup on the stove or microwave first.

OPTIONS
The list of OPTIONS are listed there because not everyone has these in their pantry/refrigerator.  I'll add them if I have them, but it won't break my heart if I don't.

UPDATE: 1 Jan. 2017
My wife makes a great Asian coleslaw, and was asked to make some for New Year's Eve. I asked her to save any extra dressing.

Today, I took some noodles, cabbage, Asian coleslaw dressing, and peanut powder and made myself a pureed vegetarian pad thai noodles for lunch

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment