Saturday, August 20, 2016

My Sixty-nine - Burger and fries -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Sixty-nine - burger and fries -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Last night, I was going through the list and realized I had not included one of the most important American Meals.  It had escaped my thoughts because I had posted veggie burgers earlier.  The real reason for this post is fries.  Hot out of the oil fries.  Hot out of the oil fries with just the right amount of seasoning.  Hot out of the oil fries with just the right amount of seasoning and a whole lot of ketchup . . . . YUM.

When I was in my teens, I used to love going to Friendly's Restaurant and ordering hot out of the fryer french fries and have them top it with marshmallow - don't judge me, until you have tried it.

The biggest issue with burgers and fries is that, in America, the burger and fries is a HUGE meal.  It was tough to figure out how to make a single serving size.  So this recipe makes a 4 cup serving

FOUR CUP SIZE
1 burger
Same size unit of fries
2 dashes of ketchup
1 unit burger toppings

OPTION
1 cup of non-alcoholic beer


BURGER
A typically, hot of the grill burger is 1/4 to 1/2 pound thick burger.  I make 1/2 pound hand formed burgers.  I typically use beef instead of bison for burgers, because it has more fat.  Make sure that the meat is cooked all the way through.  If you have to cut it up and finish the burger in a saucepan DO IT!!

CHEESE
As always, I caution tube feeders, with using too much cheese, as it has a tendency to clog the tubes.  It doesn't take much cheese to add flavor, especially if it is chedder.  I'm also a fan of a little blue cheese, and I mean a little, as it can overwhelm everything.

BURGER TOPPINGS
I highly recommend lettuce, onions, and tomatoes.  If you like grilled onions - GO FOR IT!  Mushrooms work well too. And of course I like a little bacon too.

SAUCES
Go light on your sauces, because you can always add more later.  This includes Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, and Steak Sauce.  All of these can be stirred into your cup later if needed.

BUNS LESS
Skip it.  The fries is your starch.   If you really like the tasted of a buttered grill bun, you can cut that part off the bun and add it, I won't judge  . . .

BEER
I have added a little non-alcoholic beer to give it that authentic taste

FRIES
OK, I made you read through the whole blog, before I talked about the most important reason - FRIES.  First, we have to talk about something really important.  PUREED FRIES ALONE IS SOCIALLY UNACCEPTABLE.  Do it in the privacy of your own home.  Yes, tater tots and ketchup taste wonderful.  But that is not a meal, so I won't expound on the wonderfulness that is pureed fried potatoes alone . . . don't judge me . . .

Remember, every potato has a different level of moisture, so it will be hard to judge how much potato to use in your puree.  Even potatoes that sit on a counter for a while, after they are cooked, will dry out a bit.  This is where experience with pureeing comes in handy.  It might take a couple of tries to get the right mix of potatoes to burger.

Potato skins might also be an issue for tube feeders, especially if you like for fries "well done", as the ends of the fries might burn.

TUBE FEEDERS
If you have an issue with your stomach tube clogging, this might be the one of the meals that I recommend "screening" before you run it through the tube.  There is always a concern about bits of bone and cartilage in the burger


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.


My old local Friendly's

No comments:

Post a Comment