Wednesday, August 3, 2016

My Sixty-eighth - Sauteed Sea Scallops -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Sixty-eighth  - Sauteed Sea Scallops - 100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

DEDICATED TO MY MOM - Peggy Hoyland, who used to order scallops when we went out for "fancy dinners".

August is always a big month to go to the ocean beach, then hit a fried clam shack on the way back.  Deep fried scallops and deep fried Calamari were always my favorites.  Although, both can be pureed there are less issues with scallops.  Back at my house, I don't have a deep fryer, so I will saute on my grill.  Whether they are bay scallops of sea scallops, they saute to a tenderness that is perfect for pureeing.

Now, when I said "ocean beach", I certainly did not mean with bathing towels, I meant surf casting.  Although, I have only caught one striper and one bluefish in my life, it is still a goal to catch a 40" striper off the beach.  I hope to catch a bluefish and have a pureed recipe before Fall


1 Unit Sauteed Sea Scallops
1 Unit Sauteed Vegetable
water of broth to thin it to the right thickness


ASIAN DISHES
Pan fried and Stir Fried Scallops are an excellent options when ordering take-out.  Most restaurants have multiple options for a "sauteed" scallop with vegetables without starch.

COASTLINE SEA SCALLOPS
This is one of the recipes that you can indulge your butter and garlic fiend that lives deep inside you.  I also recommend a splash or two of your favorite white wine, since you may have problems drinking it. Sherry works well too.

It only takes about 0ne of two scallops to make a cup of puree.  Use one if the person is having a hard time swallowing.  Be sure to rinse the scallops thoroughly, as the smell can be overwhelming for a person with a hair-trigger gag reflex

THE MAIN THREE VEGETABLES
There tends to be three main vegetables that people serve with Scallops - Asparagus, Spinach, and Broccoli.  Although, Broccoli rabe, kale, and string beans run a close second.  All of them are great sauteed in garlic butter - YUM.

STARCH
I usually don't have starch with my scallops.  I like to really enjoy my scallops as I don't eat them but twice a year.  ALthough is I had too - Rice, Italian pasta, and Chinese noodles would come to mind.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.



No comments:

Post a Comment