Saturday, December 13, 2014

My Thirtieth - Matzoh Ball Soup -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Thirtieth  recipe for the new cookbook - Matzoh Ball Soup

1 Unit soup
2 units Matzoh balls
1 unit Matzoh Ball diced (not pureed) for lip-sippers
add enough broth that the matzoh balls float in the blender before pureeing.


OH THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS HEINOUS
I've been eating so many cream based meals in the past couple of weeks, I needed a huge change of pace.  Having lost 85 pounds between the two bouts with cancer,  I have no insulation against the cold weather outside.  Between these two problems, I asked my wife in the morning if she could make me her world-awesome Matzoh Ball Soup for me for dinner that night.  Just what I needed when I trudged in the house that night.

HANDING DOWN TRADITIONS
(Update 28 Dec. 2016) - While I was down in Atlanta for Christmas, and my wife was working late on the third night of Hanukkah, we asked my children to make the vegetarian Matzoh ball soup on their own.  At 21 and 16, they are both accomplished at cutting and cooking.  However no one has ever dared to make Matzoh ball soup, because my wife makes the best . . . We were now treading into the land of heresy . . .

My son thought if he were going in this direction, so should consult an ancient tome - Grandma's 1952 edition of THE AMERICAN-JEWISH COOKBOOK.


I really wished I was there is witness this historic occasion.  Food came out great.  PS if you ever find a 1950's version of a cookbook, you should read it.  It is a fascinating view into history.



MATZOH BALL
I don't know how my wife does it but they are always nice a fluffy all the way through.   So when I can finally chew again, they will be the perfect dish to practice chewing again.  For now, they puree wonderfully in the blender.  The biggest issue is that it is traditional to bite the Matzoh Ball.  Pureeing the Matzoh Ball takes all the fun out of the soup.  For lip-sippers, the answer is to take a Matzoh Ball and dice it and add it to the bowl, and pour the pureed soup over top.

I only have 1 cm clearance between my top and bottom teeth,  I cannot even get a spoon in my mouth, so I drink all my meals.  The diced Matzoh Balls are soft enough that they can squish between the teeth.  Comfort - pure comfort.

CHICKEN?
To chicken, or not to chicken - that is the question.  Far be it for me to tell the experts of the world how it make Matzoh Ball Soup.  I'll just say that at my house- chicken is optional.

Make sure that you add equal parts chicken and vegetables.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.


No comments:

Post a Comment