Thursday, March 19, 2015

SPOS - Smell of Healing

Stomach Peg Original Soup™ SPOS - Smell of Healing

An important part of making SPOS is the smell of cooking.  I love the smell of ginger.  However, I don't like the smell of cooking cabbage.  Luckily, the smell of the ginger outweighs the smell of the cabbage.

I also cook the cabbage first thing in the morning, when my wife is making coffee.  You have to understand that my wife likes REALLY dark coffee, so our house can smell like a coffee-shop.  When I say dark, I mean the coffee you can chew.

Cinnamon is another favorite smell.  I try to add cinnamon where I can because of the anti-cancer properties.

In the afternoon, I tend to make chocolate based treats.  They are not for me, but for my neighbors who have been so helpful this winter.  My wife is a masterful baker - me? not so much.  I invite my friend Betty Crocker to come help me.

My daughter is jealous that my neighbors are making out like bandits, but is you know the amount of effort they put in this BOSTON SNOW RECORD BREAKING YEAR (March 1015).  I couldn't nearly make enough.

I have even changed my shower soap to a smell that is more appealing - Margarita!

Red Pasta sauce is another smell I love.  Tomato sauces can burn the mouth, and also cause stomach upset, so be sure to check and see if it is OK,  and don't be upset if the cancer survivor "passes" and wants something different.

Vanilla Extract and Almond extract are welcome additions to purees.  I don't cook with them, I add them Directly to the puree, to get maximum aromatic benefit.

SMELL ON THE FLIPSIDE
I love the smell of peanut butter - at least I used too.  I suddenly have an aversion to the smell.  Not sure why, and I hope it doesn't stay long.  If there is a smell that suddenly turns for the worse.  Alert your caregiver is a kind way.  
UPDATE: 1/16  My love of the smell of peanut butter has come back,  showing the ebb and flow of smells.

The other day there was a Rotary International fundraiser at one of my favorite pizza places Flatbread Company .  Walked in and was instantly overwhelmed by the smell.  Normally, I love that smell.  But between the loud bustling sounds of a restaurant and the eclectic smells, I needed to step outdoors. If you have strong reaction to the smell, don't be afraid to speak up.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.  We are a small global community, let me know how I can help you out.  I'm sure that whatever your issue is, there is another person who can benefit for hearing how you are solving your problems.  You are not alone, are are among other leaders.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address. 





You may also enjoy an additional blog article - Stomach Peg Original Soup(tm) SPOS I’m not a Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment