Friday, April 27, 2018

Dehydration, Aspiration, and Voiding the Stomach -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Dehydration, Aspiration, and Voiding the Stomach -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Yesterday reminded me that I should take a minute and talk about three potential major problems - Dehydration, Aspiration, and Voiding the Stomach .  

I left the house for my typical day of photographing High School Sports.  When I arrived on campus, I realized I was warm, but not sweating.  This is one of the sure signs that I was dehydrated.  The change of seasons and warm days can bring this issue on.

I knew that the high school sells bottled water by the gyms, so I stopped by and picked up a 20 oz (571 ml) bottle.  I sat down and poured 10 oz (260 ml) in my tube.  I repeated this process every 30 minutes until I felt better.   I didn't feel better until after 60 oz.  but there was an additional reason

About halfway through, My stomach was still feeling upset, so I went to the bathroom and opened my tube, and poured all the contents of my stomach down a sink.  Throwing up is a bad option.

So let's review some of the options. 


VOIDING THE STOMACH
If you are a lip sipper, this can be a problem as the stomach contents will burn the mouth.  As a tummy tuber,  Don't be stupid and be brave.  If your stomach is upset, just pour out the stomach contents down a sink.  I have a compromised swallowing ability, so the chances of aspirating is very real.  Be smart and empty the stomach through the tube, and start over again.

260 ml
When I feel dehydrated, I consume 260 ml of water at a time, every 30 minutes.  Pouring cool/cold water down a tube can really upset the stomach and bring on a puking fit.   "DRINK" small amounts of water at regular intervals, so you can gage how your stomach is reacting.  

RINSE YOUR MOUTH
Lip sipper rinse the mouth as they drink the water; however, tummy tubers, should rinse a little water in the mouth, so the body thinks you are drinking.

DON'T BE ALONE
Don't be embarrassed and try to hideaway.  As soon as you start start to feel dehydrated, or have an upset stomach, alert someone.  If you have an aspirating episode, you will want someone nearby.  Yesterday,  I sat out near the softball field so If I had an issue, there were plenty of adults who could help

SALIVATING
Salivating is one of the ways your body tells you that it wants to throw up the contents of the stomach.  Researchers think this is the body's way of protecting the teeth from the stomach acids that will be expelled. 

ASPIRATION
This is a real concern. Make sure you have a caregiver nearby and they are alerted that you are not feeling well in the stomach, and they should keep an eye on you.  If your stomach always seems to be upset, have a conversation with your medical staff.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment