Tuesday, August 21, 2018

My One Hundred and Eighth - Indian Chicken Curry -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My One Hundred and Eighth  - Indian Chicken Curry -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

I should have added Indian Chicken Curry a long time ago.  Indian chicken curry is not to be confused with an earlier post #18 called "chicken curry which is more of a Moroccan dish.

Growing up in America I almost never saw Indian Restaurants.  My mom didn't cook any Indian dishes, so the only way I got some was at pot luck dinners, or friend's houses.  Today, there are lots of Indian Restaurant options in my neighborhood, which is great because it drives up quality. 

Many people think of Indian food being "TOO HOT SPICY"  the same bad rap goes for Thai food.  Yes, there are spicy dishes, but not all Indian food is Spicy.  Some people also confuse flavorful with spicy.  Yes, there are a lot of different spices in an Indian dish.  But when seasoned by a master, it is magic.

When I go to a Indian Restaurant, I typically order a Lamb dish and Chickpeas Curry (Chana Masala). But these may not be the most typical dishes served.

Last night, I went to my local expert Holi Indian Restaurant, and asked them to serve me two dishes- one meat and one vegetarian that would be eaten in a typical Indian household.  We can't have anything too "Hot spicy" as Cancer Survivors typically have mouth sores.  Anything with Turmeric and Ginger is a bonus, as these to ingredients are great for fighting cancer.

Not surprising Chicken Curry was the easy pick for the meat dish.

I'm not going to tell anyone the recipe for Chicken Curry, after all Grandma's recipe is the best.  I agree.   Whatever grandma is making is fabulous.

RECIPE
1 Part* chicken
1 Part Sauce
1 Part rice
4 parts warm water

OPTIONS:
Powdered Plant Protein
Turmeric
Ginger

* A "Part" is a volume measurement which just means whatever size you choose, use it for all ingredients. 4 parts water come from one from the chicken, one from the sauce, but two from the rice.

CHICKEN
Some people use chunks of chicken, and some use shredded chicken.  It doesn't matter which.  Since the meat is cooked in a liquid, it makes it very easy to puree. White and dark doesn't matter either when it comes to pureeing.

SAUCE
Curry sauce to a symphony of flavors.  I love a well blended sauce.  Most people make the sauce closer to a soup than a paste.  So adding sauce to the blender just makes it more flavorful, and thinner.  

RICE
Whether is it is white rice or brown rice, traditionally the rice is on the drier side.  The reason is so the rice will absorb the liquid sauce, and you will have better flavor.  None of this is an issue while blending. The issue that comes up is if you blend up a batch and store it overnight.  The rice will continue to soak up as much water as possible, so in the morning the blend will be thicker than you intended.  Not a big deal, just thin with more water.

CHUTNEYS
I deliberately left chutneys off the recipe.  Although most people will add a chutney to their chicken curry, many of them are very spicy, and lip sippers could be in for a lot of pain.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment