Sunday, March 11, 2018

My One Hundred and Seventh - Caramel Nut Roll Breakfast -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My One Hundred and Seventh  - Caramel Nut Roll Breakfast -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

For years, Pillsbury used to make a Caramel Nut Roll.  It was a favorite treat of my seven brothers and sisters, and I.  It was usually reserved for Sundays.  

Originally, you buttered the round pan, broke up of brown sugar and walnut mixture into the bottom of the pan, and arranged the rolls with one in the middle and the rest forming a ring around it. The "middle roll" was the most coveted, and a whole cult of rules developed as to who got the middle roll.

Later, my mom bought a non-stick pan, so the rolls lost the butter on the bottom, which was the beginning of the tragic end of Caramel Nut Rolls.

You cannot find the Pillsbury rolls anymore. But I got options . . . 

Today, I prefer pecan.  And Panera Bread's Pecan Roll is my secret passion.  Granted, it is twice to three times the size of the old Pillsbury rolls, so I have to make a triple batch for First breakfast, Second Breakfast, and Brunch

RECIPE
1 Panera Bread Pecan Roll or substitute
1 Pre-Cooked Breakfast Sausage
1 Hard Boiled Egg
1-3 Pats of Butter
Fill the blender with Very Warm Liquid to the 6 cup mark

OPTION:
Dash of Dairy

Makes about 6 cups

PECAN ROLL
OK, I can't make it to Panera Bread all the time, so it a pinch I use cinnamon rolls, and add a 1/4 cup of pecans.  Cinnabon rolls are an excellent substitute, as are the Pillsbury Cinnabon Grands that you can cook at home.

PECANS
Yes, you can substitute your favorite nut.  If you are a walnut fan - go for it.  Both of these nuts are my go to protein for my breakfast puree.   

BREAKFAST SAUSAGE

Protein!  Protein!  Protein!  Use whichever style of breakfast sausage floats your boat.  Today, I even used Italian Sweet Sausage, because I was pre-cooked and sitting in the refridge.  I always use pre-cooked sausage, because I'm up early and alone, and the last thing I need to put in my puree is a sausage that isn't completely cooked.  Oh trust me, I enjoy the peace and calm of a pureed breakfast at 6AM.

HARD BOILED EGG
After years of cooking eggs for my purees, I typically use a hardboiled egg instead.  1) It is instantly ready in the refridge.  2) One less pan to clean in the morning.  3) It doesn't foam up as much in the puree.  I used to poach my eggs, but I would end up with a finger width of foam on top of my puree, which just got tiresome if I was only cooking one egg.  If I am with my extended family, there is usually a batch of scrambled eggs, which make life simple.

PAT OF BUTTER
Yea, I love butter. More important, the fat in the butter helps to keep the nut bits from sinking to the bottom of the puree.

VERY WARM LIQUID
Use a warm liquid as it helps the blender melt and break up the caramel.  Now my choice is hot coffee, because the caffeine is a vasodilator, and cut my morning neck pain.  If the puree is too hot, I drop in an ice cube of two to take the edge off.
If you are a decaf fan go for it.  If tea is more your thing - geat.

DAIRY
I'm really talking about extra fat.  So cream, is my preferred choice.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment