Tuesday, December 27, 2016

My Eighty-nine - salad sandwich -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Eighty-nine - salad sandwich -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Ham salad sandwich, egg salad sandwich, chicken salad sandwich, turkey salad sandwich, salmon salad sandwich, tuna salad sandwich, etc . . . What we are usually talking about mashed leftovers thrown between two pieces of bread with greens and tomato.
And now that Christmas Day has passed and we are into the 12 Days of Christmas, Third Day of Hanukkah, and Second  Day of Kwanzaa there is usually plenty of meat in the refridge that can be mashed into a "salad" and placed between two pieces of bread.

While I was at my sisters house in Atlanta, "meat" salad sandwich did not dawn on me as an option, because it seemed that with over a dozen people in the house at any one time, there was something coming fresh out of the oven every few hours.

However, at the airport there were a lot of people ordering salad sandwiches.  That is when I realized I had made a pureed salmon salad sandwich already this past Christmas day. On 23rd, December, my sister and her husband Steve made a wonderful dinner with the option of pork tenderloin or salmon filet.  The next morning, there was still plenty of each in the refrigerator.  For breakfast, I thought I could make a version of lox on a bagel by using the chilled salmon fillet- salmon fillet, a little white onion, half a plum tomato, plain yogurt, a slice of whole wheat bread, coffee, and hot water . . . By the end of the weekend, I realized I was really making versions of salmon salad sandwich, turkey salad sandwich, and ham salad sandwich.

Salad sandwiches are an important part of family holiday gathering regardless of the time of year and which holiday it is.  "THE NEXT DAY'S MEAL" is usually a fend-for-yourself buffet style meal plan

RECIPE: two-part recipe


Meat Salad:

1/2 Cup of pre-made meat salad 
or  
1/4 cup of meat
1/4 of White Stuff  (White stuff can be mayonnaise, yogurt, or cream cheese)
1/2 inch of celery and/or onion

PUREE RECIPE:
1/2 Cup meat salad
slice of bread or 1/2 cup of "slice your own" bread like a baguette
2 small tomatoes 
layer of greens
1/2 cup of water or more

OPTIONS:
dash of brown mustard 
grind of black pepper
1/2 slice of cheese

MEAT
I haven't met a meat that cannot be turned into a salad, but I'll keep looking for one.  I will even make a Beef Wellington salad sandwich (with extra mustard).  Important to make sure there is no bone, cartilage, or grizzle on the meat


TOMATO
Small cherry of grape tomatoes make for easier portioning; however, this past weekend, my sister had organic hot-house plum tomatoes which worked great because they are meaty tomatoes.

CHEESE
You don't need much cheese to flavor the puree.  I always recommend using warm water with cheese dishes because it helps soften the cheese.

LAYER OF GREENS
A good chicken salad sandwich has one thin layer of crisp lettuce that runs edge to edge under the bread.  What ever is the area of your bread, you should use that much "area" of green leafy, whether you like iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, kale, or spinach.

MUSTARD
My mouth is healed enough that a dash of mustard is fine.  Mustard is one of my top favorite flavors during the holidays.

LOBSTER SALAD SANDWICH
I was going to add it, but I was talking about making salad sandwiches from holiday leftovers, and as a New Englander, it is considered a sin to have lobster leftovers.


My mom and I prepping mash potatoes for Christmas

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.


FACEBOOK



I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

2 comments:

  1. Have you pureed a "green salad" (lettuce,tomato, etc.) for oral consumption? I get nutrition through tube, but am permitted some oral eating "for pleasure"...would love to try a salad, I miss them! My concern would be whether the greens would actually puree and not have little bits left to stick in my throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading. I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! frozen food items

    ReplyDelete