Friday, November 4, 2016

My Eighty-second - Sole Meuniere or Chicken Piccata -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Eighty-second - Sole Meuniere or Chicken Piccata -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

DEDICATED TO  a group of Facebook parents with children with tummy tubes.  So this is for them. 

I'm doing a #FlashbackFriday to the years I worked at the Versailles Restaurant, where Sole Meuniere and Chicken Piccata were staples on the menu.  For those who are real foodies, who know all the subtleties between both of these dishes - besides the obvious chicken vs. sole; the most important thing to know if that they are both terrible when served cold.  So make sure you serve this dish warm.


The best thing about them is that they are both a ray of sunshine on a bored palette.  For lip-sippers, there is an issue of fresh lemon on open mouth sores, so I'll just put that out on the table.  However, if this is not an issue, these are great mouth refreshers.

As I listen to more and more parents talk about how they are picking up dinner, instead of making dinner in the kitchen, I thought I would skip my typical "Make a batch and then puree some in hot water" speech and come up with a new mash-up.  Today, I'm giving you a quick version of Fish Sticks Meuniere of Chicken Nuggets Piccata.

Spend more times eating with your children.


3 fish sticks or chicken Nuggets

3 pats of butter
1/2 a squeezed lemon
olive oil
cream
capers
hot water


Yea, I'm off my rocker.  I worry that cooking is becoming a lot art with our children,  so I'm coming up with a recipe that children caregivers can make with a parent.


The hardest thing for children to learn about cooking is making sure that meat is cooked completely and safely. The nice thing about fish sticks is we are halfway there.

In a saute pan, heat up an 1/8 inch of olive oil on medium heat (this is to make sure you don't burn the butter).  Add the butter, and melt.  When the butter is melted, add the meat and turn up the heat and brown them on both side ( if you are using meat that you already cooked in the oven, browning might happen very quickly).  As the meat is about finished, squeeze the half lemon on top, then remove from heat.

Now typically, you do a lot of chef type things to cook the capers and cream, but we are going to skip that and let the blender do the rest.

Add contents of the saute pan to the blender, add a couple of capers, and equal parts hot water and cold cream - then puree.  This should give you a nice warm puree.

KIDS FISH STICKS or CHICKEN NUGGETS
I cannot stress enough that sharing a meal with your child while you go through cancer treatment, is as important to them as it is for you.  If your children are having chicken nuggets or fish sticks out of the oven, you can also use this recipe to make a variation for yourself.

RISOTTO
Now typically, there is enough starch on the outside of the chicken or fish sticks that you may not need more starch.  But if I don't include risotto in this recipe, there will be some traditionalist who will frown at me. 

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.



FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment