Monday, October 31, 2016

My Eighty-first - Hot Pastrami Sandwich -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Eighty-first - Hot Pastrami Sandwich -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

I've always been a huge fan of Pumpernickel bread, and I know a lot of people are die-hard Rye bread fans - so let's just agree to disagree.


My son and I are the two that love pastrami and corned beef in my house.  So when he comes home from college, I like to purchase it and send him back to school with the extra, which never happens, because we will gladly eat the meat without any bread, mustard, or sauerkraut.  This is why it makes the list of 100 meals you never thought you would eat pureed.



2 parts bread (toasted)

2 parts Pastrami
dash of course mustard
2 parts sauerkraut/coleslaw
1 part cheese
Hot Water


HOT WATER

This meal is mostly about aroma, and the hot water releases the aroma of the meat, cheese and mustard.  You can use warm water if you pre-steam the meat.   

MUSTARD AND VINEGAR WARNING

Just a reminder, the vinegar and mustard can burn a mouth with sores.

CHEESE

Although I prefer Swiss cheese, because it is aromatic, you can also use Havarti and American cheese.  The hot water also helps the swiss cheese be more aromatic.  

TOAST

There is a certain extra yum about bread being toasted that seems important in a puree.  If you are the type of person to grill your sandwich - do it.

CABBAGE
Cabbage "in a form" is key to a great pastrami sandwich.  Sauerkraut is the top option, although it might burn your mouth, which is why I mention coleslaw, which can be made without a vinegar ingredient. I've even used sliced red cabbage without seasoning.  

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.




FACEBOOK





I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment