Tuesday, October 4, 2016

My Eightieth - American Goulash or American Chop Suey -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Eightieth - American Goulash or American Chop Suey -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Always popular in American school lunches because it is easy to make a large pot and slop it out onto the trays.

Both dishes are similar and there are hundreds different variations.  If you haven't heard of either of these before they are basicly macaroni, tomato sauce, and typically ground meat.  Seasoning ranges from Italian to Hungarian spices.  

I view it as that pasta version of chili.  The biggest difference between Hungarian Goulash and American Goulash is stewed meat vs. ground beef.

This is my GO TO when people are having pizza, because pizza is very hard to puree easily.

1 part Goulash/Chop Suey
2 parts Warm water

Option
1 part Sour Cream

WARM WATER
Yup this one need to be served warm.  Not only for the comfort, but because there is typically cheddar cheese, and you want to make sure it doesn't stick to your mouth or the tubing.

TOMATO WARNING
Just a reminder, the tomato sauces can be a problem with both mouth sores, and stomach upset.  Make sure you have no mouth sores.  If you are not sure, don't do it.  Tomatoes have a way of finding sores you didn't know about.

CHEDDAR CHEESE
Go light on the cheddar cheese, a little cheese goes a long way on strong taste.  I always recommend sharp cheddar, so you can use less, for the same taste level.

SOUR CREAM
Just to add a little fat in your diet.  I also finds it helps calm my stomach.

ADD MEAT LATER
Turns out I make a lot of meatless dishes, and then add my own pre-cooked meat later.  Last night, I added pre-cooked swordfish to my Goulash.  It was a nice change of pace.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.




FACEBOOK



I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment