Monday, November 14, 2016

My Eighty-fourth - Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Eighty-fourth - Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

I miss Velveeta cheese.  Nothing says November like grilled cheese sandwiches and a hot tomato soup.  Nothing says January like grilled cheese sandwiches and hot tomato soup.  Nothing says February like grilled cheese sand . . . OK JEFF WE GET IT.


Soon the snows will fall, and it's time to pull out the recipes that warm the soul and well as the belly.  The smell of a grill cheese cooking on the stove can also be an intoxicating smell.  I've had children run downstairs from a closed bedroom door, to find out what dad is cooking.


I miss Velveeta cheese, a childhood favorite.  I also miss Spam, but don't let my family know.  OK, there are a bunch of foods from my childhood that I have to sneak into the house . . . Cap'n Crunch. You're judging me aren't you?


I raised my children on Cabot Cheddar (I'm still a big fan of supporting local businesses).  They are still huge fans of Sharp Cheddar.  I also discovered the Cabot offers a Lactose-free cheese, so I'm going to be trying that soon.  So, I learned to cook at a lower temperature to melt the harder cheese and still get that nice gooey texture.



RECIPE:

Real butter
Bread - prefer white bread, really gummy white bread
Cheese

1/2 cup of hot tomato soup
1/2 grill cheese sandwich
1/2 cup warm water

MIXTURE

I will admit this is a personal preference.  I prefer a 1/2 cup of tomato soup to 1/2 grill cheese sandwich and then thin with water.  The issue is that your eat grill cheese, then tomato soup, then grill cheese, and then tomato soup.  You get a strong taste of each piece.  It is not like a donut that some people dunk into their coffee/hot chocolate.  Although, you will end up with the same aftertaste in your mouth; the idea of sipping a homogenized meal, might get panned.  Cancer treatment patients love to pan foods . . . but you knew that . . . 

This is definitely a meal that needs to be shared with others, because a full sandwich and bowl of tomato soup is to hard to manage to stretch across two of three meals - puree temperature is a bear.


TOMATO SOUP

Let's start with the fact that the acid in tomatoes can burn the mouth.  Second, we'll talk about how tomatoes can upset the stomach.  There, I feel better that we got that out of the way.  

Let's talk about all the different brands of tomato soup.  They are all quite different in flavor. I am a fan of "boxed soups", but several of them have been panned by my children.   If you are feeding a traditionalist - stick with your traditional brand.  This is a not a battle to be fought, you have other battles that are more important.


CHEESE

The important thing to note for lip-sippers is that the cheese can stick to the room of the mouth, and they might not be able to react fast enough.  For tummy-tubers, cheese tends to stick to the insides of the tube.  Which is why I tend to use one slice of cheese per sandwich.

BREAD

There are two sandwiches where my children have emphatically told me don't vary from Standard American White Bread - Grilled Cheese and PB&J.  We have them so infrequently, why ruin the experience.  I am allowed to vary on French Toast.  Once again, not a battle worth fighting.

MAC & CHEESE AND TOMATO
For the life of me I thought this puree reminded me of something, and I couldn't place it, until my daughter asked for Mac&Cheese.  In a pinch, Mac & Cheese and Tomato soup is delicious.  Especially, if the snow is lightly coming down.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.




FACEBOOK





I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment