Sunday, September 18, 2016

My Seventy-sixth - Duck L'orange -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Seventy-sixth - Duck L'orange  -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

It dawned on me as I head into my last 25 recipes, that I should indulge myself and include some of my personal favorites, which might not be so wide spread.  Duck L'orange is one of them

This also stems back to my youth when I worked at the Versailles restaurant and they used to duck a dozen ducks at a time.  I loved the smell of the kitchen on those days.  When my wife and I would go in for dinner, I usually had either the duck L'orange or the Duck au Poivre.  YUM!  Today, the biggest issue is that there is no reason for me to purchase a whole duck, and you can't find cooked duck on the grocery store hot food line.

Since I don't have a family that eats duck here is what I do:

Bell and Evans offers duck fillets so I don't have to buy a whole duck.  I roast it for an hour out on the grill under medium heat, but not on direct flame.


1 roasted duck breast
1/2 cup cooked rice or wild rice
one peel of an orange slice
1/4 up of orange marmalade
one cup beef stock (chicken stock is you are desperate)
dash of cream, or plain yogurt
2 to 3 cups of water

OPTION
1/2 roasted carrot

QUANTITY
OK this will make about 5 cups of puree, so I don't recommend this for people who are currently under treatment, because that is a lot of puree, for someone who my have problems swallowing.  If there mouth is clear of sores, or they have a stomach peg, 5 cups is not so bad.  Some days,  I will puree the duck, rice and carrot, without flavoring, and then pour off half to make Duck Poivre (See Steak Poivre recipe).  Then the 1/2 still in the blender, I will make Duck L'orange.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.





No comments:

Post a Comment