Wednesday, September 14, 2016

My Seventy-fifth - Bagel Sandwich -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Seventy-fifth - Bagel Sandwich -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

I had to do extensive research on this one, and enjoyed every cup full.  The Brueggers near me is also a Jamba Juice, and I received a raffle gift certificate through Relay for Life.  So, I had been going there is get my Kale Juice on hot summer days, but I never looked at the bagel menu, because as much as I loved bagels, I knew they would be hard to puree.  Well, that was just the voice in my head, and had nothing to do with reality.

one bagel
3 cups of water
stuffings
a little more water with stuffings

DICING BAGELS
My Vitamix is pretty powerful, but I still don't drop large chunks of bagels in the blender.  I cut my bagel up into one inch pieces of bagels before I drop them in.  Another nice hint, is to let the bagel soak in the blender for about ten minutes before you puree.

BAGELS
It seems that all types of bagels have about the same consistency, and the ration of water to bagel is about 4 cups per whole bagel. For me, 4 cups of puree is about 2 1/2 meals.  So the question is - do I cut the bagel in half and save it for two meals, or make one large batch and save it.   That depends on how much you like bagels.  Some stuffings are too hard to make into a smaller portion size like Bagel egg and cheese.

CREAM CHEESE
No extra water is normally needed with adding plain cream cheese

BAGEL EGG AND CHEESE
Any standard breakfast bagel takes about a 1/2 cup more water.  Egg, cheese, ham, bacon, etc do not absorb much more water when pureeing

BAGEL LUNCH SALAD SANDWICH
Lunch sandwiches are much easier to puree a half-sandwich, because it is easier to portion control the amount of stuffing.  Chicken tarragon salad has a great flavor or sipping.  Buffalo chicken salad can burn the lips or sores in the mouth.

LUNCHEON MEAT
You don't need much luncheon meat to flavor the puree.  Any strong luncheon meat like salami or pastrami give a lot of flavor per ounce of meat

CONDIMENTS
Mustard, mayo, or butter are all pretty easy to add

CINNAMON BAGEL
These can be really messy, so I use a plain bagel and add my own cinnamon and sugar to the puree

COFFEE
Yup, I puree my morning bagel with coffee in my puree.

LOX TOMATO AND LETTUCE
I never knew how much I missed it.

RED ONION
I love them on a bagel because they have a long aftertaste. 

PUMPERNICKEL BAGELS
There are some bagels that can seem to firm to puree.  I recommend breaking the bagel into smaller pieces and soaking them for 30 minutes.  This is more of an issue with tummy tubes.

Just discovered OMG! Bagels

Update 18/2/2017
Just learned about OMG! Bagels.  They are really over-sized bagels so you will need 5 cups of water per bagel.  Or cut them in half and share.  They have a French toast and a challah-styled bagel which are to die for.  Picked them up at a Winter Farmers Market in Chelmsford.  On the downside, the winter market did not have red onions, so I bought farm fresh butter instead.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.




No comments:

Post a Comment