Monday, September 19, 2016

My Seventy-seventh - Pumpkin Spiced Quick Oatmeal -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Seventy-seventh - Pumpkin Spiced Quick Oatmeal -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients.

Jeff, what an odd selection to add . . . so let me explain.


Oatmeal is a popular Fall breakfast food our house, especially on rainy school days like today.  When I don't have the time to apple crisp for my daughter, I saute one diced green apple in butter, add a little pumpkin spice and brown sugar.  When the apples are browned, I make a packet of instant oatmeal right on top.  Usually, there is enough left over to make myself my own puree. If you have a high school aged son, you might have to double the recipe if you want any left over.


It is important to note that the smell is also enticing, for someone who has lost the love of eating.


Having tested Steel cut oatmeal, and long-cooking oatmeal.  Instant oatmeal is the best for puree, because you don't have a lot of lumpy mess at the bottom of the blender.


The nice thing about oatmeal is that you can cook up the size you want and puree it.  I view oatmeal as my substitute for coffee.  Whatever flavors you put in your coffee, you can add to Oatmeal.


PUMPKIN SPICE

Really easy to find at my local grocery stores right now.  I have plenty in the house, so I usually wait until the end of "Pumpkin Spice Season" and refresh the pantry.  I often use pumpkin spice for sweet breakfast breads right through the New Year.  Pumpkin spice has a long lasting aftertaste, so it really satisfies my favor tooth.

FRENCH VANILLA

OH yea, vanilla extract and I are good friend.  We have a long happy relationship from waffles to egg nog.  Make sure you add yogurt or cream to your oatmeal

POACHED EGGS

Love a poached egg in my oatmeal.  I typically add a little hot water from the pot to the puree so it's nice and warm.  Sipping cold oatmeal can be a bit frightening

PROTEIN SUPPLEMENT

Great time to add a protein supplement to your puree.  Chocolate and pumpkin go well together.  Vanilla and Pumpkin go well together. Hemp protein and Pumpkin Spice - NOT SO MUCH.  It is right up there with things to avoid like a peanut butter and tuna fish sandwich . . .

DRIED FRUIT

I recommend soaking the dried fruit overnight in the refrigerator, so that they puree easier.   I recommend cherries, blueberries, and cranberries.

MOUTH SORES

Oatmeal can be an interesting issue with mouth sores.  Some people like it some people hate the feeling in the mouth afterwards.  Oatmeal tends to leave a texture in the mouth for quite a while.  Don't be offended if the oatmeal gets pushed to the side.

PUMPKIN SPICE CINNAMON ROLLS

Just another option


COMMENTS

Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.




No comments:

Post a Comment