Sunday, July 24, 2016

My Sixty-third - Cherry Dump Cake -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Sixty-third recipe for the new cookbook - Cherry Dump Cake perfect for Pot Luck Parties

One of my favorite treats from my childhood is Cherry Dump Cake.  It is one of the recipe I have brought into my kitchen and modified slightly.  I make mine Gluten-Free.  I can't remember the exact reasons my mother would make it, I just remember, that it was easy to make from memory; however, it is not ingredients that are typically found in the pantry.

Simple to make:
in 9" by 13" corning-ware pan
Dump one can of cheery pie filling
Dump one can of crushed pineapple pieces with juice
Dump one box of White/Yellow cake mix
Smooth top and place pats of butter on top with a 1/4" spacing
Bake at 350 degrees until top browns (for about 30 minutes)

Yesterday, I was at an outdoor picnic, and I didn't bring my portable blender.  There was a ton of fabulous food there, I brought my pre-pureed food, so life was good.  At the very end, the call went out to TAKE FOOD HOME WE HAVE TOO MUCH HERE.  The grilled summer squash were staring at me all day.  The grilled zucchini were staring at me all day.  The brownies were staring at me all day.  So, I had to suffer and bring some home . . . .poor me . . . and I also brought the rest of my Cherry Dump Cake home . . . which pureed wonderfully with waffles and coffee.  Ok, somehow a hot-dog jumped into the to-go box to . . .

POT LUCK DESSERT PARTIES
One of the hardest things about pot luck parties, is that most of the items cannot puree well - especially desserts - chocolate chip anything, rice krispies treats, brownies with walnuts, M&M cookies, etc.  The typically issue is that most of the treats are finger food, because guest don't want to force the host to provide plates.  I always provide paper/plastic cups.  They can always be used for drinks, so I plan to bring extra.  I also call it Cherry Pineapple Cobbler for brunch parties, so it sounds more "brunchy".

GLUTEN-FREE
For my variation I use gluten-free cake mix.  This is the number one treat that I bring to parties because there are so many people with allergies that I know that 99% of people can eat it including me.  I try to find red-dye-free cherries.  Selection of gluten-free products have gotten quite good recently.  I have friends who are celiacs; a son who is sensitive to hazelnuts and chocolate; and countless friend allergic to peanuts - so I try to be sensitive.  If I'm going to bring my families famous no-bake cookies (chocolate and peanut butter)  I'll try to bring a treat that is mostly allergen free.

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment