Sunday, July 17, 2016

My Sixty-second - Lamb Souvlaki -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Sixty-second  recipe for the new cookbook - Lamb Souvlaki

One of my favorite restaurants in Watertown, MA was Demos. They made the best lamb shish kabobs in the area.  The dinner was served with a Greek salad and rice pilaf.  I used to work for a video company, whenever I had a delivery in Watertown we would time it so we could stop in for lunch.  Recently I've started digitizing old home movies, so thoughts of lamb kabobs are popping back in my head.

Now that I need to puree, I don't go there as much, but I have created a quick version so that when I crave it, it is only an hour away.

The recipe is based off my old favorite of hamburger and rice my mom used to make.  Ground sirloin, mushroom soup and rice.  A great stick to your ribs recipe.  It always reminds me of rainy days in Astoria, OR.

This is a great Summer and Fall recipe.

JHO LAMB SOUVLAKI
COOK:
1/2 pound ground lamb in olive oil
1/4 cup Greek salad dressing (or more)
2 leaves of sage
1 teaspoon Greek Oregano
After meat is browned, in a same pot
1 box of rice pilaf - follow instructions on box

PUREE - makes 4 cups
1 to 1-1/2 cups of Lamb/Rice
2" of a cucumber
squeeze 1/2 of lemon
1/2 to 1 cup of yogurt with fat
dash of vinegar
enough water to achieve proper consistency 

WHY ARE THERE VAGUE MEASUREMENTS
It takes a little practice to puree the right amount of rice.  Cooked rice really varies in water content.  I always start with the shorter amount, and add more if it is too thin.

Yogurt also varies in thickness.  Some are runny, while others are more like tofu.  I refer Greek Yogurt with milk fat, which is not always easy to find.

BLASPHEMY
In a pinch, I will add cooked zucchini or cooked cherry tomatoes to the puree.  I have also been known to add sour cream if I am out of yogurt.  Usually this is because the yogurt grew mold sitting in the refrigerator.  It wouldn't be past me to add ice cream in a pinch.  OH COME ON, don't shake your head at me, you would do it to if people aren't looking.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment