Saturday, March 26, 2016

My Fifty-first - Quiche - 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors

My  Fifty-first -  Quiche  100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors

OK, quiche might not have been on the top of your I CAN"T LIVE WITHOUT IT LIST.  But let me explain.

Last week, I was at the Boston Flower show, and I packed my Soylent and bolus funnel to have for my meal.  When I travel, I usually don't bring my puree in case there is a chunk that gets stuck in my G-tube.  My friend, Linda, ordered a slice of quiche for lunch.  As I was watching her eat it, it dawned on me that it is really just a pre-made scrabbled eggs in a soft pie crust.

For most people, the issue with quiche is the texture.  However, if we are going to puree it, we don't have to worry about that.

I love having poached eggs pureed for breakfast.  You have so many options to mix into it for flavoring.  One of the issues is you have to mix in a starch, like hash browns, to keep the eggs from settling to the bottom of the cup.

The major problem with making breakfast eggs, is that it takes time, and you make a lot of dirty dishes.  Quiche can be quickly pulled from the refrigerator, add some hot water to the blender, and puree it right up.  There is usually just enough pie crust to hold the eggs in suspension.  Because it is actually a custard, it purees a lot easier that fried eggs.

Most supermarkets carry a wide variety of quiches -  Lorraine, broccoli, etc.

My recommendation it to buy a plain quiche, and then add a little pre-cooked meat or vegetable piece.  I typically pick up a couple of pieces of bacon from the supermarket breakfast bar, and keep them in the refrigerator for just this reason.

RECIPE:

1 Slice of Quiche
Add water or coffee to thin

(the nice thing is you can slice it as small as you want.)
Whole Foods even has goat milk quiches

COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment