Tuesday, August 2, 2016

My Sixty-sixth - Meatloaf-100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

My Sixty-sixth - Meatloaf -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

So, I posted the Spaghetti and Meatballs the other day, because the bread crumbs in the meatball are a perfect thickener for puree.  And there are a lot of bread and meat combinations


Last Night, my wife and I went out for anniversary dinner at a new restaurant in town Red Heat Tavern.  The issue was that she sprung it on me at the last minute, while we were already in the car.  I didn't have my funnel, and I didn't have my portable puree machine.  But if my wife wants to go out for dinner, we are going out for dinner.  She is used to me not eating in-front of her - which took some getting used to . . .  


Mondays and Tuesdays are typically slow in a restaurant, so I don't mind asking the staff if they can help me puree my food, but last night was our anniversary and I wasn't going to "be that guy" with a new waitstaff.  But I digress . . .


The restaurant is a Southern US grill house style, and the first item on the menu that caught my eye was "Fire-Roasted Meatloaf Marcho Farms beef, pork & veal stuffed w/ smoked cheddar, topped w/ house-made smoked ketchup, BBQ brown gravy & crisp onion strings, garlic mashed potatoes, steamed green beans 17.95" and I thought YUP I CAN PUREE THAT.


Now, I grew up in a family where meatloaf was not a normal meal at dinner.  I had to learn about meatloaf on the mean streets of elementary school of Boulevard Heights Elementary School.  OK, so it wasn't really a mean street, it was more like suburbia,  but the cafeteria food traders were sharks.  But I digress . . .  So, to me, meatloaf is a fun memory, just like Boulevard Heights Elementary School corn bread.



1 unit meatloaf

1 unit vegetable like green beans or broccoli
dash of ketchup
thin with water



DIFFERENT MEATS

There are hundreds of ways to prepare Meatloaf.  At my local Whole Foods, they have turkey meatloaf at the deli.  I've had it gator-style, wild boar, tofu, just to name a few.  The beauty is you just need to and vegetables for a complete meal.  It is really only about adding the right amount of water to achieve the right consistency.

HIDING THE VEGGIES

Now although Boulevard Heights Elementary School typically served buttered green beans with the meatloaf, I'm more of a broccoli fan in my puree.

KETCHUP

Remember you can always add more ketchup as needed so start out light

COMMENTS

Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment