Monday, March 14, 2016

My Fiftieth - Ham Sandwich - 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors

My Fiftieth -  Ham Sandwich

1 ham sandwich with white bread

I watch a lot of HGTV and recently Fixer Upper has been driving me nuts.  No, it has nothing to do with shiplap, it has to do with Chip constantly asking for a ham sandwich.  Hearing Chip ask Joanna for a ham sandwich was just too much for me not to try and make a pureed version of a ham sandwich.

Oh man, I use to love a White Pen Pantry ham salad sandwich.   I'm so sorry they closed in 2013.  Sure there is nothing healthy about a ham salad sandwich, but remember, we are trying to make food to enjoy, not so much about healthy.  I put food down my g-tube every two hours, so I "EAT" about 6-7 times a day.  Taking one meal out and having a ham sandwich, is not a bad thing.

Right now, I'm baking oatmeal raisin cookies that I can't eat.  but I can puree one cup worth.  Everyone deserves a dessert every once in a while . . .

Ham is a pretty powerful flavor so it will over power pretty much everything you put in it - except maybe pickles.

I recommend white bread, because I am only using the bread as a thickener to keep the ham from setting to the bottom.

My favorite recipe is:

2 slices of white bread
1 slice of ham  (spiral ham is best)
1 slice of Swiss cheese
2 sandwich slice pickle
1 leave of lettuce or equal amount of fresh spinach leaf (an acquired taste)
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
hot water to control thickness


PUREEING
I like this because it is easy to portion control.  My version make a two cup version.

if you are using a g-tube, puree the ingredients without the mayo.  You need to make sure the ham and cheese puree small enough to get down the tube.  After you puree on high, add the mayo and blend on low to keep the puree from creating lots of foam.


COMMENTS
Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK
I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.


No comments:

Post a Comment