Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Powders to Pack the Pantry -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

Powders to Pack the Pantry  -100 Meals You Never Thought You Would Eat Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer patients

In a pinch . . . many items I keep in the pantry to use in a "Pinch" when my fresh supply has run out.  This blog is about powders I keep in my pantry to use directly in purees or batters.  Typically, I use them as thickeners when I puree meat or vegetables that tend to sink to the bottom of the blender or sipping cup.  Red meat and cabbage vegetables are common offenders.

Some of these are proteins; some are starches.

I keep them in the pantry for the times when I A) burn the meal and have to start over; B) need a late night meal because I was on the road and it threw off my meal times; or C) what I was looking for disappeared because thieves ate it (cooked pasta in the refridge), or it went bad (dairy or potatoes).

You would think that a can of chick peas in the pantry would be safe from robbers . . . not in my house. Found an empty can in the recycle bid just this morning.

You would think a can of black beans in the pantry would be safe from robbers . . . but I find out they are a favorite salad topper for my vegetarians who need protein.

BOXED MASHED POTATOES

Yea, this is number one on my list.  Always an easy thickener for a puree.  You don't have to worry about browning them on the stove.
ALMOND FLOUR
I find this is a great protein to breakfast purees, when I don't have a breakfast meat on hand.  Great with pureed waffles, toast, bagels, cinnamon rolls, etc.
WHEY POWDER
WARNING - I throw the warning on here, because many whey powders on the market are "whey shake" powders and have a lot of added sugars, so check the labels.  Whey is another protein I keep on hand to add to nearly anything that required dairy.
QUINOA POWDER / FLOUR
Sometimes a gluten-free option is needed.  Never had much luck cooking with it, so I add it directly to the blender.
PEA PROTEIN
Great to add to vegetable heavy meal.  Usually, I add to canned/boxed soups.  Although, my daughter likes to have frozen peas on hand- I find that when I need them, they have already been consumed.
HEMP PROTEIN
It started out as my little protest that Dana Farber would not prescribe cannabis as an option to pain relief for cancer treatment, because of federal USA laws.  But now, I use it regularly because it taste good in purees
COCOA POWDER
Just being honest . . . Ghirardelli Cocoa is my personal favorite.  I buy the unsweetened and add it strictly as a flavoring.
 SOY MILK POWDER
Truth be told, I don't keep this in my pantry, for one reason only - I buy Soylent 2.0, so I get plenty of soy every day.  But if I didn't, soy milk powder would be in my pantry.  My soy milk helps calm my tummy when it is upset - but that just the way I work.
BUTTERMILK POWDER
I like buttermilk in my pancakes and waffles.  But I don't have it often enough to devote refrigerator space to a carton of buttermilk.  I add a scoop to my batter. I order this online from Amazon, because it not always available at my grocery stores.
GOAT MILK POWDER
I got this originally because my daughter prefers lactose-free dairy.  I don't always have carton of goat milk or lactose-free milk in the refrigerator.  I substitute this instead of buttermilk powder when I make strawberry waffles for the both of us.

PEANUT BUTTER POWDER
If you don't have a powerful blender, this is a must.  If you have people who will eat your peanut butter, this is a must.  Chocolate and peanut butter are a favorite comfort food.

VITAMINS
Many vitamins are sold in powder form.  Remember you can measure and mix powders in your puree.


COMMENTS

Please add your comments and suggestions to my blog.  Nice to see people from around the globe reading my blog.  Please follow you want the latest recipes.

FACEBOOK

I have created a companion page on Facebook called: 100 Meals Pureed - Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors.  Sometimes it is easier to share a FB page than send a blog address.

No comments:

Post a Comment