Friday, March 13, 2009

THe Art of Whoooo Hoooo

I first learned the Art of Whoo Hoo in Junior High. I used to pitch baseball. I was definitely middle of the road pitcher- except, when my dad showed up and I could hear him cheering from the stands. It was worth a couple of extra strikeouts a game.
In the 80’s, a friend of mine asked me to run in the Boston Marathon, even though I had never run more then five miles in my life. The interesting thing about a marathon is that you break into a routine pretty quickly, and that routine just slows down the further you get into the race. About the halfway mark, you are about as numb as you are going to get. It is also the point where you pass Wellesley College. The entire school is cheering you on. Suddenly you have the power of the Chariots of Fire and you can do anything.
The a couple of years ago, I got an email from one of my clients saying thanks for setting him up with one of his top ten prospects. I spent the next week with renewed vigor and set up another meeting for him. The reason I bring this up, is I had been calling on these prospects for several months without much success. The difference now is that the territory had been handed over to a new sales rep, who took the time to send me a Whoo Hoo.
This past Fall it was my turn to Whoo Hoo when I adopted the Bedford High Varsity Girls Volleyball team. Many of the players I had coached years before in soccer. Although, I lost my voice, I knew that the newest way to say Whoo Hoo was to post game photos on Facebook that the girls could share. I made sure to deleted all photos that might be embarrassing for any number of reasons before posting. The games were always during rush hour traffic, so I knew a lot of parents couldn't make many games. Oh, by the way, they surprised everyone and were league champions
Take the time to send out a Whoo Hoo. What is a Whoo Hoo? An unexpected outburst of joy or glee. Some Whoo Hoos are public, some are private. Some are immediate- some are thought over and handed hours later. My dad could always be heard of the dim or cheering voices. The Wellesley girls had no idea who I was, but they were cheering on all who had made it that far. My Sales Rep could have decided that I was just doing my job and not bothered. I could have let the other parents cheer on the girls, or I could set the bar high - by the end of the season, the girls were saying, "Hello, Mr. Hoyland."
Make a point to send out two Whoo Hoos every day.
First, send out a Whoo Hoo to someone you know – whether it is family, a friend, or a co-worker. Someone does something good everyday- you need to send out an unexpected burst of joy or glee. Call up a niece or nephew when you hear that they did something astounding – they will never see it coming. When someone brings in breakfast treats, wait to the end of the day and stop by the desk and say. “you know, that was really nice what you did this morning- Whoo Hoo.”
The Second Whoo Hoo should be to someone you don’t know personally. Tell the person at the coffee shop, who makes your coffee every morning, that they deserve a Whoo Hoo. Send a thank you e-mail to a company that gave you excellent service.
Whoo Hoos are like Grandmother hugs – there are always more that can he handed out-it is one of the most renewable resources – and its very “Green friendly”.
So Dad, thanks for all the Whoo Hoos I got. Wellesley Collegians keep cheering on the Boston Marathon Runners. And Sales Reps keep sending in emails about how I’m making your life better. And BHS Volleyball, keep saying HELLO, MR. HOYLAND.

No comments:

Post a Comment